Kevlar bike tyres..... Advice needed

Discussion in 'Just Talk' started by Ansley2408, Jan 14, 2020.

1. Ansley2408

Ansley2408 New Member

Hi

Had a nightmare winter so far re punctures, my shed is like an inner tube cemetery. Tried self healing tubes and lasted a while longer but still punctured.

I wanna go for some Kevlar lined tyres but not sure where to start.... I have a bog standard decathlon hybrid bike.

Not bothered about speed or weight just need to get to work and back reliably.

Any advice welcome

Cheers

2. rogerk101

rogerk101 Well-Known Member

Schwalbe Marathon Plus. There is no better tyre on the market.
    I have them on my tourer and my road bike.
    I'm touching wood when I say that I have never had a single puncture in any of them ... yet my my cycling companions and other family members are always getting punctures with other tyres.
    They're expensive, but last forever. I've now been using the same pair on my tourer for 25 years, and they've taken me all the way up the west coast USA, the east coast USA, all the way around South East Asia, thousands of miles around France and UK, etc.

Squashrobinson likes this.
  3. candoabitofmoststuff

candoabitofmoststuff Well-Known Member

I use the schwalbe as well, on the recommendation of the guy at the (independant) bike shop I use near me.
    They've been brilliant!

But I also use either tubes with the healing gunk in, or buy tubes with it already in... and the same in my wife's bike. Though we do both drive, we both used to use our bikes for work commuting, (now retired), and for both of us there was a considerable amount of the journey along canal towpath.

When I replaced a tyre on one of the bikes a few years ago, (because it was worn out, not because of a puncture), I was amazed at the number of punctures there had been that had obviously been "self sealed" by the gunk... small traces of it appearing as dots on the outside of the tube... there must have been about a dozen... and not even aware it had happened!

Good luck,

Regards,

Cando

4. rd1

rd1 Member

+1 for schwalbe, I have Schwalbe Marathon Plus Tour SmartGuard on my hybrid. No tyre is puncture resistant but the best is grade 7 I believe, and these are grade 6 from Tredz

5. Bob Rathbone

Bob Rathbone Well-Known Member

In my off road stuff I use a tractor puncture self healing liquid. Just put in a small amount then inflate the tyre. If it gets a puncture the liquid solidifies around the object or fills the hole. Charlies store is my local supplier, for got the name of the stuff but it is intended for farm use. It's cheap at less than £15 litre, that's a lot of bike tyres.

6. 1FuseShort

1FuseShort New Member

Do you know the cause of the punctures? Is it due to a foreign object (glass etc) wedged in the tyre somewhere that cause a puncture if you go over a rough surface?
    Or is it due to something sharp in the rim of the wheel itself? It's usually not your riding style or type of bike that causes regular punctures.

7. Hans_25

Hans_25 Well-Known Member

Does sound odd that the OP is getting so many punctures. Am using tubeless 23c road tyres and rarely get a puncture.