killig a tree

Discussion in 'Other Trades Talk' started by dougie573, Jun 14, 2008.

1. dougie573

dougie573 New Member

hi
    this is a hypothetical question because we all know its illegal, but.....
    Supposing there was a tree that was blocking out all your light, more and more year after year, until it was about after high and shading your entire garden (almost) it is a beech or something. short of an axe or chainsaw (too obvious to the local tree huggers) what other potential "health hazards" are there for trees like this?
    i have heard of ring barking them, or using copper nails. how long does this take. any help would be appreciated.

2. hi
    this is a hypothetical question because we all know
    its illegal, but.....
    Supposing there was a tree that was blocking out all
    your light, more and more year after year, until it
    was about after high and shading your entire garden
    (almost) it is a beech or something. short of an axe
    or chainsaw (too obvious to the local tree huggers)
    what other potential "health hazards" are there for
    trees like this?
    i have heard of ring barking them, or using copper
    nails. how long does this take. any help would be
    appreciated.

Supposing you viewed a property and there was a large tree in your neighbours garden would you buy it ?

You did!!

Now shove off, nasty little neighbour.

3. dougie573

dougie573 New Member

"Supposing you viewed a property and there was a large tree in your neighbours garden would you buy it ?

You did!!

Now shove off, nasty little neighbour. "

thank you for your less than constructive comments midnight. You obviously have an extremely high opinion of yourself and your moralistic views, which is all very well in a free country. I can only assume that your view of what the situation is is based on your own narrow minded and possibly vindictive nature. Is it possible you were bullied at school?
    Anyway. to point out some of your ill founded assumptions.(i have counted 4 in your breif and abrasive reply
    1- The tree was not big when i bought the house. if it had been big i would have consdered my position prior to buying the propertyas you correctly say.
    2- the tree is not my neighbours garden, it is in mine. It is however, still illegal to damage it purposly.
    3- i did not buy it in the circumstances you assumed (wrongly yet again)
    4- both of my neighbour are in agreement that the tree is blocking out light and would rather see it go. therefor i have spoken to them, and lived next to them, chat regularly to them (even frequently have a drink with them) without falling out for over 18 years. i would therefore say that once again you are wrong in accusing me of being a nasty neighbour.

so could i politely suggest that you "push off-" ill informed oaf

oh and 5- i am far from little

just a view

4. Youse spellted 'killing' rong u ficko.

5. Nice wind up dougie:D and I took the bait eh!

My response was to, "it's illegal" and the use of "copper nails" an illegal method commonly used for the destruction/removal of a specimen tree.

Shove off!

6. dougie573

dougie573 New Member

ah the banter.... lol
    it wasnt meant to be a wind up though. i remember the good old days when you could ask a question and get straight answer .

The tree needs to go. i was honestly looking for someone to give me a bit of illegal advice.

hope you ran a spellcheck or mr squiggly line bin laden (the grammar police) will be on to you.

[Edited by: admin]

7. "i was honestly looking for someone to give me a bit of illegal advice."

It's your tree, why do you need illegal advice to topple it, cut it back, ?

8. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

I can't advise you on things that are possibly illegal, but I should warn you to be careful on Bonfire night with all those stray rockets flying about(they have been known to catch things on fire). :(

Mr. Handyandy - really

9. Mr GrimNasty

Mr GrimNasty Active Member

Your tree - so why is it illegal - TPO?
    Nails - it's largely a myth.
    Ringing - it'll be obvious.
    Wait for a storm - pull it over with a winch - inform tree huggers of its sad demise.
    Arrange for a chainsaw accident - report to police as 'one' of neighbours taking matters into own hand whilst you were out - can't be pinned on anyone - job done.
    Plus a million other possibilities that take little imagination (and are probably a lot simpler!).

10. dougie573

dougie573 New Member

"It's your tree, why do you need illegal advice to topple it, cut it back, ?"

midnight.
    I know what you mean, but despite there being about 30 acres adjacent to the end of my house absolutely packed with the big wooden insect infested ba$tarDs, the local authority enforce a strict "tree preservation order". this stops you removing trees without a damned good reason (usually got to be a danger to property or people) and permission in writing sought, along with the appropriate admin fee,and all signed in unicorn blood. they can enforce a fine of up to £5000 per tree i belive. The environmentalist lobby would have us belive that you only need to drive round it 5 times in your car and you would kill the tree with pollution, but im a bit strapped for cash and probably couldn't afford the diesel for 5 laps at the moment.

never mind. i successfully evicted a family of 5 squirrels last weekend from my loft. I'm beginning to sound like jeremy clarkston now. I honestly do like nature, but prefer it not to encroach too much on my civilization.

11. Hmmm, fair enough I used to live in Bridge Of Weir land of wellies, Range Rovers, labradors and binoculars, I get your drift, nevertheless you can still make an application (free I think) to "lift the trunk" or to give it a heavy haircut.

12. chip off the block

chip off the block New Member

dig arund it and cut main roots might work. might also result in bad karma and falls on your house/car or missus. so not all outcomes bad then

13. diyhopeful

diyhopeful Active Member

Dougie,

Where we live a very large number of trees are dying because of fungal infection similar to the Sudden Oak death disease in the States. If your tree was to die how would the council know it wasn't natural ?? The disease is spreading country wide and infects many different species. Take a look around your local park and see if you can see more than 3 dead trees or lots of young ones where they have been replaced.

Kill the tree, leave it for a few months and tell the council it's dead and dangerous and you are removing it.

Then plant another tree.

If you really want to kill the tree.....

Drill a smallish diameter but deep hole close to the bottom, pour some of this in and then seal with wax.

http://www.choiceful.com/choiceful-id-20058-Vitax-SBK-Brushwood-Killer-500ml.html

The tree will be dead in weeks.

14. Tony Soprano

Tony Soprano New Member

I remember speaking to a tree surgeon a while ago about this particuliar scenario,he mentioned drilling a few holes and pouring in weed killer so i will say diyhopeful is on the right tracks.
    copper nails is an urban myth i remember hammering some into it, about thirty an old xmas tree which was in the garden did it years ago and damn thing is still there!

15. Captain Leaky

Captain Leaky New Member

diesel, works everytime ;)

16. building control

building control New Member

Im told caustic soda poured down a pipe into the roots kills them, I could not possibly comment??

when I moved in we had a tree 15 ft from the house, the removal van backed into it "honest".

I have 20 or so others but would never have one near a building.

17. Herr Trigger

Herr Trigger New Member

You dont have to drill so deep though. The wood in the middle is dead, the outer ring is the lifeline.

18. G Brown.

G Brown. New Member

Remind me whats the problem of the tree being there?.

19. Tony Soprano

Tony Soprano New Member

Ponty he wants to run water pipe to his shed ,Will he need a time served plumber or will one of these course wonders do!!!!! ;)

20. hallbeck

hallbeck New Member

You dont have to drill so deep though. The wood in
    the middle is dead, the outer ring is the lifeline.

No it isn't! Its called the xylem and it carries the water up from the roots. The phloem or outer ring of wood carries the nutrients down from the leaves.

You need to drill to the xylem.