***king downlight clips

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by billhicks, May 14, 2009.

1. billhicks

billhicks Member

These things are just awful. I've installed downlights before but doing it today is just driving my crazy. Have 4 downlights to install. Lights come with with the terminals that are supposed to hold the lamp holder up off the light bulb, the problem is, if this is fitted to the downlight, the retaining clips don't fit on as there's no enough height for them as the terminal is in the way.

And then the clips themselves rip the **** out of the plasterboard!

Obviously I'm no expert but surely someone must have invented a better way to hold up downlights in a ceiling? I've attached a pic, hoping someone is gonna tell me I'm retarded and have done it wrong.

http://img134.imageshack.us/img134/7397/sddddd.jpg

2. SHREWSBURY BISCUIT

SHREWSBURY BISCUIT New Member

The long legs go in the ceiling.........the little legs don't..and it clips in...least thats the way ive fitted my previous 200000000000000000....but thats not the problem here...no bulb!!!

3. sysparks

sysparks New Member

looks like someone has treated themselves to a manicure!

4. billhicks

billhicks Member

5. seneca2

seneca2 New Member

The problem I always seem to have recently with downlighters is that the clips never seem to have enough tension to keep the lamp snugly up against the board!

6. Lucky

Lucky New Member

The problem I have had recently is with Click Eyeballs , The Fittings are good and well designed , You don`t have to * about with the Lamp Clips , Cos the Bulbs sit inside the Bezel that shows, But the Backplate surround is made of the THINNEST steel , most of the time when you install the back/plate surround in the Aperture the Metal bends and the F* Clips go into orbit , if your`e lucky you find them on the Floor , if not they shot off into the Roofspace never to be seen again .

They are that bad I e-Mailed Click moaning about them , With no reply

Anybody else had problems with them ??

Lucky

[Edited by: admin]

7. Lucky

Lucky New Member

" Bulbs .......... where the f* did that come from ;-0

Lucky

8. chezzboy

chezzboy New Member

You're retarded, you've done it wrong.

Prove this isn't a wind up by showing F* ceiling!

9. AccaDacca

AccaDacca New Member

I agree Seneca, ive found the good ones from the wholesalers have very week clips,but the cheap b&Q sets spring like rat traps!

10. billhicks

billhicks Member

I got them up, had to file away a bit of the holes at one side....Sh*te design.

If anyone is a wanna be inventor, how's about having a go of figuring out a better way to hold up downlights.

11. AccaDacca

AccaDacca New Member

They have, its called Gripfill!!! :)

12. cliffy brown

cliffy brown New Member

ruff ruff, thats two in one session

13. lightning bolt

lightning bolt New Member

how much were them 50 pence for 6

14. oscar21

oscar21 New Member

Well obviously the bracket goes the other way round, with the connector over the top of the lamp.

I must admit though I never usually fit the bracket to the fitting, either unclip the connector from it, or if the bracket is the threadded bit for the cap screw, bend it in half. And before anyone starts, no they dont rest on the lamp and burn the house down.

15. fooman

fooman New Member

never had a problem myself. I always drill the hole 5mm bigger than the quoted size to make it fit easier and to remove ;)

16. billhicks

billhicks Member

The bracket doesn't go the other way round. That's the right way in the picture. Won't fit the other way.

17. oscar21

oscar21 New Member

How can it not fit the other way, its made out of a flimsy bit of metal that slots into the spring.

18. billhicks

billhicks Member

The 'prongs' on the downlight are curved(same radius as the downlight itself) and the prongs on the bracket are curved to match so you can't fit it the other way without mangling it up.

And as far as I know, all brackets like this are intended to fit this way.

19. state-it

state-it New Member

...That's right.