Kink in copper pipe

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Lionhearted, Jun 18, 2021.

1. Lionhearted

Lionhearted New Member

Hello,

I am trying to pass two 15mm central heating pipes through a space where any potential leakage will be difficult to detect and replace. For this reason I am also trying to avoid joints where possible, however, while bending a pipe to 45 degree with spring I managed to put a small kink on the inside radius. Any comment on how severe is this kink and how likely this might fail in the coming years? Pipe is new with no other damage.

Thank you.

Attached Files:

2. nigel willson

nigel willson Screwfix Select

No good, that would cause a stress fracture , could also fail due to friction and noise from the water flowing pas it.
    I work on the basis of if it looks wrong it is so redo it.
    Have a look at YouTube to make bends in pipe .it’s an art that many ppl haven’t mastered. But worth learning to do

3. dcox

dcox Screwfix Select

For the sake of a few ££s I’d redo it.

nigel willson likes this.
  4. RolandK

RolandK Screwfix Select

Consider junking the spring and getting a pipe bender.

5. andy48

andy48 Screwfix Select

1. Did you anneal the pipe before bending?
    2. To anneal, heat about 75 mm either end of the centre of your bend to red heat, then either let it cool or dunk it in water / pour water over it.
    3. Some pipe is a bit harder than others, which can cause it to kink.
    4. You could try re-doing it using Wednesbury copper pipe, Screwfix sell it.

6. nigel willson

nigel willson Screwfix Select

If your not doing much you could hire one

7. RolandK

RolandK Screwfix Select

I"m surprised at how expensive it is to hire stuff these days. When you can buy a basic pipe bender from SF for £40 and then you've aways got it. Or as an alternative use it once and if you don't want to keep it stick it on Ebay or Gumtree etc.

nigel willson likes this.
  8. Lionhearted

Lionhearted New Member

Thank you for all the guidance. I have now replaced that section of pipe with a new one. Regards,