Kit House, converting the attic.

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by glob@l, Aug 29, 2021.

1. glob@l

glob@l Active Member

What would be the main issues to overcome?
    Thanks.

2. woodbutcherbower

woodbutcherbower Well-Known Member

What's a kit house? Converting it to what? Give us a fighting chance, mate .......

3. glob@l

glob@l Active Member

Prefabricated internal wooden walls/frames which arrive on-site in parts (kit) to be assembled and the outer layer would consist of breeze or brick. The house already exists so the attic would be converted into bedrooms mainly, if it's feasible.

4. woodbutcherbower

woodbutcherbower Well-Known Member

Converting an attic/loft into habitable accommodation requires Building Regs and structural calcs, plus aspects such as fire safety, escape routes and so on. I'd suggest contacting a reputable loft conversion company to get advice from them.

5. stevie22

stevie22 Screwfix Select

The trouble with many timber frame houses is that many of the makers are really mean with wood so you might be lacking strength to support another floor. You will have a truss roof so you will either need Telebeams or a few steels. Another option is to replace the existing roof with attic trusses

How much headroom do you have and is there room for stairs.

I would get a good technician type who specializes in lofts and can do the structural stuff to have a look. I suspect they may be more likely to say "not feasible mate" than a loft constructor who's looking for work if that is the case.