Kitchen Cabinets Coming Away from Walls...

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by AidenGB, Aug 1, 2021.

1. AidenGB

AidenGB New Member

Grateful for any advice and expertise...

I have a standard laminated MDF kitchen cabinet secured to the wall with two universal cabinet brackets. It has been fine for 3 years but has now started to separate from the wall at the top. It's well under the maximum loading weight (100kg) and I haven't added or changed anything that's kept in there. The wall is plastered Victorian red brick that is a little softer than ideal. It looks like the brick in the anchor holes is wearing away and the screws losing grip and slipping forward.

What's the best (most straightforward, doesn't cost a fortune) way to re-secure the cabinet to the same, soft-brick wall?
    • It's not possible to relocate the cabinet due to space limitations and basic aesthetic decency.
    • I've Googled for hours and can't find any clear advice specific to this situation that uses fixings available in the UK.
    • Ideally, I'd implement the solution myself (enthusiasm level: high, skill level: low/moderate).
    Thanks! A

2. DaveF

DaveF Active Member

Well you have a few choices. You could remove one screw at a time, drill the holes a little larger and use larger wallplugs and screws. I think standard wall hangars will take an imperial 12. You could add an additional anchor bolt to selective hangars. The advantage of those is they can be set very deep in the wall. Or you could replace some of the screws with threaded bar and nuts, fixed in place with chemical mortar. The last option is particularly useful when we are talking about really soft block such as lightweight blocks... so may suite your soft bricks well. Chemical mortar is a little fiddly but it's excellent stuff. It's basically an epoxy resin. It dries strong enough that you can even use it as a very strong filler. For example you could clean out then repair the enlarged hole with a blob of resin, before it sets pop in a new wall plug and then when it is set ( about an hour later ) re-fit the hangar But really, as long as the fixing is good and solid it shouldn't work loose. My guess is they were not particularly solid to start and a small amount of movement has enlarged the holes over time.

3. McSport

McSport Active Member

4. FlyByNight

FlyByNight Well-Known Member

It the top rear of the cabinets visible when standing in the room?

If not, get a piece of 40mm steel angle 3or 4 mm thick. Drill holes to take 6mm screws along one side, and 3.5/4 mm on th eother. Fix to the cabinets, tops and sides using suitable screws maybe 30 or 40mm long.

Then fix to te wall using 6mm x 50 or 60 lg screws and quality Fischer plugs.

That would mean the cabinet(s) do no need removing from teh wall.

Abbadon2001 likes this.