Kitchen cabinets - set position of fixed door

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by frostipops, Oct 9, 2017.

1. frostipops

frostipops New Member

Hi
    A query - I'm current fixing some ikea kitchen doors to home-made cabinets, and wondering what is the best way is to fix / position a 'fixed' door (i.e. one that doesn't open). Unfortunately it's in the middle of three other doors so not sure how to get it so that it can be adjusted relative to the others. I can't use the normal hinges etc for various reasons.
    Ta

2. kitfit1

kitfit1 Screwfix Select

What are the "various reasons" ? Because even if the door is not going to be used as an opening door, the best way to line it up with other doors is to hinge it.

WillyEckerslike likes this.
  3. frostipops

frostipops New Member

Yes, I have thought this and am still thinking it's probably the best way. Essentially (and in the ideal world) if removed the panel would need to be slid upwards - and the hinges would prevent this. I did think about those flush mounts but I'd probably need to be more precise with these than I'm capable of, and there would be no adjustment. My other thought was perhaps velcro, at least to allow the door to be positioned before fixing more solidly...

4. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

The best solution (based on info provided) is Kitfit's. You could use keku fittings on the false door first and then adjust the other doors to suit or, if the false door needs to be removed upwards, could you make some simple French cleat type brackets out of some offcuts?

There are some panel mounts (under ovens for instance) which allow for some vertical adjustment but whether they would hold a door over any length of time I don't know. They don't give you any lateral movement either.

5. kitfit1

kitfit1 Screwfix Select

@frostipops i think some pics of the install would be more than helpful along with why the door in question can only be slid upwards if needed to be removed ? Is this a blanking door on the back of a breakfast panel ?

6. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Place a bit of timber along under the other doors at door bottom height, place your fixed door on the timber, fix some poppers and plop it in. Remove plank.