Kitchen compound mitre angle

Discussion in 'Kitchen Fitters' Talk' started by ukwoody, Jan 27, 2005.

1. ukwoody

ukwoody New Member

Morning all,
    I've got to fit a cornich around the top of some kitchen units, but it's one of those fancy ones that fix to the top, but is angled and "leans" over to create a feature.

I just cannot work out the blasted angle to cut the mitre at. I can get the bottom of the joint (45) but I always seem to end up with a gaping gap on the verticle. What is the trick for working out the angle/or what is the angle I need. I don't want to use anymore corniche practising!
    By the way I'll be using my Makita ls1013 to cut it with.
    Many thanks, Woody

2. Gromit

Gromit New Member

3. foxy

foxy New Member

Sounds like you are not positioning the cornice correctly on the saw.
    Its cut upside down with the base against the fence, but it must sit against the fence at exactly the same angle it does on the units(hope that makes sense).
    What i do is find the exact width from the top front of the cornice to the rear of its base.
    Then fit a sub fence to the saw and make a couple of stops on it the same distance up from the base of the saw. The cornice then sits up against it at the correct angle and you can cut it at 45 deg or whatever.
    Add plenty of glue and tape for external ones. Internal ones can sometimes be screwed from behind witha bit of care.
    I suspect this makes no sense at all but I know what i mean :)

Good luck, maybe someone else can explain it better!

4. chappers

chappers Member

its all explained quite well in Gromits Dewalt link I lost it out of my favourites but now have it again cheers Gromit.

5. ukwoody

ukwoody New Member

Thank you guys, (Foxy i think I followed;-) )
    I will study the links in depth a bit later, cheers Gromit.

6. panlid

panlid New Member

woody its dead simple. hold the cornice on the saw plate as it will gon on units. on the bottom of the cornice is a flat area which is the base. i use an ofcut of cornice and go round and mark all the corners at the back edge og cornice line. hold cornice on top and mark the back point. then hold on the saw plate and gently rock forward and back. you will feel the flat base find its own flat. when you get this hold it dead still and make the cut. hope this helped.