Kitchen Damp Concrete Floor

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by CharlesBryant, Sep 8, 2020.

1. CharlesBryant

CharlesBryant New Member

I have been renovating a property, when we first lifted the kitchen tiles we saw the ply had a large damp stain around the sink.

I have now removed the sink and the old chip board flooring to find the problem. I am pretty sure the problem comes from where the wall has been knocked through into the lean to, the floor went from wood to concrete

In photo 1 you can see the underside of the chip board and how the damp has expanded

In photo 2 you can see the bricks from the old wall that was knocked through, there is a layer of slate used as a dpc, but I put my hand through the hole and could feel mud, the top bricks do feel damp

In photo 3 you can see a discolouring of the plaster, not sure if this is the same issue

In photo 4 you can see more chip board and the damp subsiding, you can also make out that there is some DPC but it seems to stop towards the wall?

I would be interested to know what potential solutions there are to my problem?

Thanks

Attached Files:

2. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

You need to find the source of the problem first to determine the correct solution, there's a lot of pipe work in the damp area, I'd look at checking them first as the staining looks related. You should also have airbricks under the floor providing ventilation to keep things dry, check these aren't blocked up.

3. CharlesBryant

CharlesBryant New Member

Yeah that is my issue, I have had a good look around the pipes I can not see anything to suggest a leak, unless there was some thing wrong with the old sink?

I had a bit of a dig on the plaster, it felt very dry, I could see the colour difference on the edge and it looked really uniform all the way up like it was another layer of plaster