Kitchen/Dinning room RSJ Cost?

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Baron88, Feb 24, 2020.

1. Baron88

Baron88 New Member

Hello All,

I’m looking into getting the kitchen/dinning room wall knocked down to create an open plan kitchen diner. I know I’ll need a RJS and building regs as well, but roughly what would I expect to see for this? Also if anyone has any advice then that would be amazing!

Wall being removed is 3.3m long, non-load bearing (it’s an internal wall with a stud wall above it on the next floor).

This is part of a bigger renovation project to which I’m doing a lot myself (like plasterboard etc.) so I’m not looking at it being “made good” with plastering etc. because I’ll be doing a lot of that myself.

I should note that live in the midlands (Coventry) if that helps with costing.

Many thanks in advance!

2. Hans_25

Hans_25 Screwfix Select

If its non-load bearing, why would you need an RSJ at all? Is stud wall above it resting on the floorboards - how is it supported?

3. Baron88

Baron88 New Member

I will have to double check this and report back, but I think that the joists on the floor above rest on this wall.
    I’m hoping that I don’t need a RSJ but this is worst case just so that I can budget.

4. Hans_25

Hans_25 Screwfix Select

If the joists rest on this wall, then the wall is load bearing! Best to engage with a structural engineer.

5. carl24bpool

carl24bpool Active Member

Like hans said you will need an RSJ if the floor joists rest on the wall. Lift some floorboards and take a look upstairs.

If it is just the floor you need to carry then it wont need much of an RSJ. Maybe a 203 x 102 x 23. Even that may be overkill.

A structural engineer should tell you for £50 or so.

6. Severntrent

Severntrent Screwfix Select

If your floor boards in the above room run in the same direction as your wall it will be supporting the floor joists