Kitchen extension single skin brick

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by DSmith1, Jun 4, 2019.

1. DSmith1

DSmith1 New Member

I have a kitchen extension which was originally built on the back of a neighbour's outhouse. This has been demolished exposing my now exterior kitchen wall. Its come to light it's only single skin, house was built in 1900 extension in the 60s. It also feels like the floor is damp. What's the best way to sort pre selling of the house?

2. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Photos will help.

3. koolpc

koolpc Screwfix Select

Dynamite, start again

metrokitchens likes this.
  4. Hans_25

Hans_25 Screwfix Select

@koolpc I see you're on top form, how its all going? Still looking for that elusive abode?

yes photos would help
    - is this now external wall originally built as an external or internal wall?
    - where is the damp coming from - through the wall or up through the floor or both?

In a previous house I had a single skin add on to the kitchen that was part of the original build, I had the floor screeded with some horrid black goo put down first to aid as a damp course (going 6" up the walls), and on the walls I batten them and put on foil backed plasterboard. Never had issues with damp so think if its done right, single skin can be OK.

5. DSmith1

DSmith1 New Member

Thanks for the replies. Damp coming through lower wall and floor. I suspect the wall I'm left with is the original exterior wall of next doors original wash house. House is let but shes moving on soon and I want to sell hence wanting to rectify ‍♀️

6. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Photos :)