Kitchen extension ventilation

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Kknb0937, Jan 13, 2022.

1. Kknb0937

Kknb0937 New Member

Hi

I currently have a kitchen with a window and exterior door leading into a small 4m x 3m conservatory which was here when I bought the house. There is a ventilation fan currently installed which flows out into the conservatory which I know is inadequate.

I am soon going to knock-down the conservatory and replace this with a brick-built extension of the same size but have an issue as to regards the ventilation fan.

I am going to remove the exterior window and exterior door in the kitchen (which looks out into the conservatory) and just have these as openings with no structural alterations to the wall. The extension will therefore flow from the kitchen with no doors between creating a kind of kitchen/diner.

Question is, will the extension be classed as a separate room, or will it be classed as part of the kitchen? The reason I'm asking is because it would be easier for me to install a new ventilation fan in the new extension as opposed to the current kitchen where there will be limited space and more upheaval.

Do you know if this will be permitted? I'm worried that a building inspector will not allow this!

Many thanks house.jpg

2. stevie22

stevie22 Screwfix Select

It will be one room. You could just check with BC before you start. Are you going to remove the wall between window and door?

3. Kknb0937

Kknb0937 New Member

thanks. I think I'll email them. No, I'm going to keep the wall to avoid having to put up a rsj