Kitchen extract fan problem

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by oldie, Dec 12, 2010.

1. oldie

oldie New Member

Hi guys I am hoping someone can help me with this problem I do work for a letting agency (electrical) and I was asked to check out a kitchen extract fan out it is a Xpelair GXC6 with 266m3/h and the tenant reports there is not enough suction as there is condensation running down the wall whilst cooking I checked the fan out and there is no blockage or build up of contaminate ie dirt / grease it appears to be extracting ok. The flat is heated via storage heaters and although there was no cooking when I turned up at 1 oclock tody the kitchen window was steamed ? I would appreciate any advice here good or bad

2. J.P.

J.P. New Member

Maybe a window need to be open to as it is only a 6 incher. What size is the kitchen and where is the fan located Oldie?

I think it all points down to the extraction rate which is perhaps not enough.

3. B

B New Member

common problem. from past experience ive seen people  drying clothes on radiators, showering  without opening a window or no extractor fitted in the bathroom, ive also seen people using tumble dryers and ducting directly into the lichen.
    Basically anthing that produces steam that then comes  into contact with a cold surface will produce condensataion.

4. oldie

oldie New Member

Kitchen is 3M long 2.5M wide 2.4M high it is wall mounted on to a 150mm duct next to the window above the sink. My thinking is that this condensation is not to do with just cooking me thinks the condensation in the rest of the flat is migrating to the kitchen does this make sense ?

5. J.P.

J.P. New Member

Possibly I suppose Oldie ..my kitchen is just a a tad larger then that (3.0 x 3.0) and has no extractor fan (apart from hood) and suffers with no condensation whatsoever apart from on the window - which if left open a tad negates this.

So maybe the internal to exterior wall in the kitchen you mention is solid and not cavity, thus allowing it to get very cold on the internal face which  then acts as a condensate implementer?

6. oldie

oldie New Member

Many thanks for all your help guys.

7. Moses

Moses Member

I the fan adjacent/on top of the widow?

If so when the window is opened to supply air for the fan to extract then
    the fan is short circuiting the extract route. It just sucking air in from the open window and extracting to outside,
    very little of the kitchen damp air will be being extracted.

Poor choice of fan location?

8. pearcy

pearcy New Member

condensation next thing mould , Quite commom in some tenanted properties , mainly the lifestyle of the tenant , ie,, windows closed , heating up high  poor ventulation ,, my advise is to install a humidity controlled fan in the kitchen and bathroom thus minimising condensation levels, do something soon or you tenants will be moaning of mould everywhere... good luck

9. jamie1981

jamie1981 New Member

bad loction of fan, the fan for that size of room needs to extract about 270 m3 per hour with 15 air changes so check to make sure the fan is suitable.

10. stateit

stateit Screwfix Select

Have fitted 2 No 4" humidisat fans in a neighbour's kitchen and utility rooms.

Interesting seeing them at work - they do well in a 5 x 2.5 x 2.25 kitchen and a 2 x 1.5 x 2.4 windowless utility room, and don't kick off as often as you'd think.

Your 6" fan should extract plenty enough in the kitchen at your job Oldie. The Building Reg rates are way overestimated IMO. It's a badly sited fan, bad tenants, or both that are causing it.