kitchen fitting

Discussion in 'Other Trades Talk' started by mr.kitchen, Oct 13, 2003.

1. mr.kitchen

mr.kitchen New Member

i am a kitchen fitter and can go on for hours to anybody about it. is there anyone out there as boring as me?

2. flick

flick New Member

hi there mr kitchen, i am a budding kitchen fitter but i hope im not too boring. have u any advice for me as i work as a precision engineer and fit kitchens in spare time and would like to make the jump to full time self-employed?

3. utility-shop.com

utility-shop.com New Member

You can always post some tips mr.kitchen for me, for when I get round to the (dreaded) job myself...:-(

Mark

4. mr.kitchen

mr.kitchen New Member

hi flick, i was just like you 5 years ago when i was a conference producer. i suddenly decided (mainly through lack of work and hatred of sitting in front of a computer all day) to do something different and answered an ad from magnet who were after fitters. i met the installation manager and was then told to start tommorrow on a 20 grand kithen! the first ones took a little while, but as soon as you get the nack you can knock out one a week easy. i think the main thing is to take your time and do it right. once you get known as a decent fitter you can earn a grand a week easy. so there you are - take the plunge- but don't do it in my area (kingston) or my mate nice eric will come and visit you. mr.k.

5. mr.kitchen

mr.kitchen New Member

hello mr. shop call in the professionals, you know it makes sense. only £30 an hour. bargain. mr.k.

6. WOLF

WOLF New Member

try this one on for size.... a custom made kitchen, including custom made off set corner units... guy looked at plan.. worked out what would go in...or so he thought!!! customer pays 35k for solid oak kitchen, with not a single bit of laminate or mdf in sight....oooops!!! the kitchen is not square AT ALL... it's nearly 15 degrees out, nothing will fit....(house is at an angle as its in mid terrace at bend in road....good old victoriains) only the ceiling/floor junctions are square... the row's between customer and the fitters/manufacturer are excellent.if you put a 1275mm corner unit in place it touches down one side leaving a gap in excess of 60mm the other end, so by the time the other units are offered up the units are miles from the wall or step in front off each other.... moral of this story, stick with pre-made units you can try and scribe in...or choose another trade...ho hum!!! life is grand..
    p.s. mr kitchen...don't take on ajob in herne hill, trust me it's grief!!!!!

7. WOLF

WOLF New Member

im glad it's not one of our kitchens, and £30 per hour... that's cheep!!!????

8. boris the blade

boris the blade New Member

£30 per hour reasonable i think! :)

9. kitchenexpert

kitchenexpert New Member

I fit kitchens too, but they are a lot harder to lnstall than most people imagine. always get an expert is my advice after all a good kitchen ,well fitted will last 20 years.
    most people will have changed their cars 5 times in 20 years and not complain,so spend your money well,buy a good one ,get me or mr kitchen to fit it and it will be
    money well spent.

10. Gotcher

Gotcher New Member

Maybe we are talking different things here, and I feel sure Wolf would be fitting kitchens using oak or another "proper" wood product.

I've fitted several kitchens over the years. Okay, so they were all done with melamine chipboard and laminated worktops so were at the cheaper end of the market. But they were very functional all the same.

The thing I like doing about kitchens is that it requires a blend of different skills, from carpentry, tiling, some electrics (maybe...), plumbing and decorating to name a few. I find that more of a pleasure than being stuck in a single trade - maybe others think different though!

Gotcher

11. Mof

Mof Guest

Wolf,
    Shurly (spelling) if the kitchen is made to measure it would be made to fit in the out of square kitchen.? This vodka is nice!!

12. big all

big all Screwfix Select

im just waiting to see the next person to contribute
    will be a unemployed concord pilot or a bored brain surgeon [me think this is a wind up te hee hee]

big all

13. bodget&scarpers

bodget&scarpers New Member

why do hedges always grow round the outsides of fields and never in the middle?

14. Tangoman

Tangoman Well-Known Member

If they grew in the middle, they'd get in the way of all the crop circles b&s!

15. Gotcher

Gotcher New Member

If they grew in the middle, they'd get in the way of
    all the crop circles b&s!

I'm sure that wouldn't present a problem for the UFO's that create the crop circles though.

Gotcher

16. Tangoman

Course it would Gotcher,

Have YOU ever tried landing a UFO on top of a hedge?

Tango

17. Tangoman

Half way through fitting my second kitchen, I have to say that the hardest things about fitting one are in order:

1) Replastering the walls after ripping the old tiles off.
    - Cos I hate tiles
    2) Fitting the worktops (ouch - still dreading that)
    3) Sorting out all the new wiring - particular if you've got brick walls to contend with
    4) Finishing touches (cornice/pelmet etc)

Anybody else concur. Admittedly No.1 up there won't be needed for most people cos they will simply retile over the top. and No.3 won't be needed if it's already there in an OK state.

Any other hated jobs?

Tango

18. Gotcher

Gotcher New Member

Have YOU ever tried landing a UFO on top of a hedge?

Look, people might think I'm from a different planet sometimes, but I don't fly a UFO.

Gotcher

19. Dewy

Dewy New Member

No U F O he was here 1st.

20. bodget&scarpers

bodget&scarpers New Member

once knew an architect who had his house maid backwards?