Kitchen flooded need advice

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Jan Ahmed, Dec 8, 2018.

  1. Jan Ahmed

    Jan Ahmed New Member


    I recently had my main water pipe changed from lead to plastic. A subcontractor from united utilities completed the connection. They started work in the morning and finished the job in a few hours.

    I went to see the work done in the evening and as I opened the door, I heard the sound of running water very loudly. I immediately ran into the kitchen and seen the new pipe gushing water at such a tremendous pressure that the new plaster on my wall has come off. Luckily the kitchen floor is slightly slanted so the water was going to one corner but was exiting through the hole where the new pipe is coming from (Just think of it as a bath tub with no plug but the tap running). I was able to turn the water off by turning the stop tap.

    My biggest concern is how much water has gone underground and what are the implications of this? Will this affect the foundations of the property? is the property at risk of sinkholes? we have been told there are mine shafts beneath our property.

    I genuinely believe the water has been running over 7 hours. The kitchen floor is concrete but the living room is floorboards.

    Any information will be appreciated.

    Kind Regards
  2. jonathanc

    jonathanc Active Member

    Whose fault was it? United utilities?

    I think you will have huge damp issues form months. Personally I would assess the cost of all damage including damp specialists advice and if United utilities are st fault, take them to court
  3. sospan

    sospan Well-Known Member

    The first and obvious point of call is your insurance company. That is what you pay them for.
    Allsorts likes this.
  4. Jan Ahmed

    Jan Ahmed New Member


    I dont know whos fault it is. I am not sure how it can be my fault though.

    should i go to the insurance company or wait for United utilities to get back to me after their investigation.
  5. terrymac

    terrymac Well-Known Member

    Where was the water coming from exactly ? Can you post pictures here of the stop cock and the area where water drained ?
    Allsorts likes this.
  6. Jan Ahmed

    Jan Ahmed New Member


    The water was gushing out of the white pipe and exiting through the hole

    Attached Files:

  7. dobbie

    dobbie Well-Known Member

    Who put in the white pipe ?
  8. terrymac

    terrymac Well-Known Member

    When did this happen ,and have you contacted united utilities ? That white pipe does not appear to be a new water main ,unless the pic is decieving ,it looks like 15 mm plastic.
  9. Jan Ahmed

    Jan Ahmed New Member

    this happened a few days. i contacted United utilities and they have got the subcontractor involved who visited yesterday to investigate. As for the pipe this is a new pipe which which is brand compared to the other piping. I will measure the pipe today and get back to you. hkw big shoould it be?

    the pipe was installed my a water safe registered specialist.

    I am worried about the long term problems that may arise from this.
  10. dobbie

    dobbie Well-Known Member

    Sounds like another scam scheme.
    In my opinion the flood is down to the "watersafe"? plumber.He should not have left the stopcock open knowing that a new supply was getting fitted to it.
    United Utilities probably knocked on the door, when no answer assumed no one would be stupid enough to leave the stopcock open on the new supply pipe they were connecting to and livened up the new connection.
  11. terrymac

    terrymac Well-Known Member

    I understand your concerns about possible water damage ,but that can only be established on site by investigation . from a legal liability point of view ,if you contracted with united utilities to supply and install a new water mains then they are liable if it goes wrong.
    I would expect the diameter of the new supply pipe to be greater than 15 mm . ( can be various sizes above that ).
    Was the white pipe ever connected to your internal plumbing ,or just terminated with a stopcock?
  12. sospan

    sospan Well-Known Member

    Firstly if you are a person of faith, I would thank whom ever it is that you weren’t killed with that cable in the water.

    There is nothing that people on her can advise rather than contact your insurance company and let them get to the bottom of it. In the meantime stay away from the cables and pipes in that area
  13. Allsorts

    Allsorts Well-Known Member

    Hi Jan.

    Back to basics - have YOU been doing any of that plumbing in your house? If so, best get concrete evidence to show that it wasn't any of your work that failed.

    Can you confirm - have you had TWO separate contractors working on your plumbing; United Utilities who fitted a new mains supply and someone else doing the 'internal' plumbing as part of a kitchen refurb? Or was the only work done my UU, and is that white pipe 'theirs'?

    Bottom line, if you have been doing nothing yourself, then it's obviously down to someone else and you clearly should be covered for any damage; you should not have to call on your own insurance for this. However, it would make sense to contact them in any case as they have legal teams who will make damned sure they get the money out of whoever made the mistake.

    (Also check to see if you have Legal Protection on your insurance - if so, they are the ones to call 'for advice' at the moment - don't actually open a case as it'll cost you the 'excess', I understand.)

    Long-term issues? I doubt that very much indeed - certainly not structural issues; just look at the rain we've had over the past week...

    Any shortish-term issues will involve having to dry out the internal fabric of your house and making good any damage caused - eg to plaster, flooring etc. For this you'd ideally want an independent assessor to make sure everything is looked at - again ask your insurance company for advice.

    Take LOTS of photos of ALL the pipework that's been installed recently - wide shots to show it all in context and close-ups of the incriminating ones. LOTS. Also photograph every single place that water has got to - flooring, walls etc.

    It is not for YOU to have to work out what the existing damage or long term effects might be, that's it for your insurance assessor. But, obviously, you want to build up your own picture too so's you can feel confident that nothing's been missed out.

    Keep us posted Jan.

Share This Page