Kitchen Floor Bounce

Discussion in 'Kitchen Fitters' Talk' started by RealLifeNerd, Jul 30, 2018.

1. RealLifeNerd

RealLifeNerd New Member

Hello there lovely people :)

Just a couple of basic questions that I hope I can get a bit of advice on.

I have a kitchen floor that has as small amount of bounce, especially near the middle. Nothing major, not like the plates are rattling as you walk across, but it is visibly noticeable.

When we first brought the property the kitchen had a ceramic tile floor, which we replace due to a few of the tiles having cracks in them. We replace the flooring (about 10 years ago) with click and fix laminate. This flooring is now become even, where most of the edges have lifted slightly, so if you run your hand over it the floor feels like it is going up and down, up and down. This might be due to moisture damage or the floor having a little bounce, I am not really sure.

My questions are, I want to replace with a single rolled vinyl;

• So do I just sand the edges of the current laminate down, so it is all level, or just rip it all up?
    • Should I be worrying about the slight bounce?
    • Can I get the vinyl laid without having to remove all the fitted Units?
    Andy

2. Jord86

Jord86 Well-Known Member

Joists probably undersized, lacking support or hopefully not rot? Take the laminate up, check original floorboards, remove a few and investigate the bounce, sort out any major dips and bumps, once sorted lay 9mm wbp ply over the top of your floorboards butting up to the legs of your base units, making sure everything is screwed tight and countersunk beneath the surface. Fill the screw heads with a good quality wood filler, once gone off then fit your vinyl. Your kitchen will be able to stay where it is, provided nothing structural needs doing to the floor.

3. RealLifeNerd

RealLifeNerd New Member

As far as I can remember there is a layer of screed under the laminate, this was what the original tiles were sitting on. So I can not really get to the floorboards without some serious work

4. Jord86

Jord86 Well-Known Member

A sand and cement screed on top of floorboards?

5. RealLifeNerd

RealLifeNerd New Member

Erm ..... no idea.. lol Without digging a section out how could I tell?

6. Jord86

Jord86 Well-Known Member

If you actually have a sand and cement screed on top of a suspended floor then it's no wonder you're experiencing bounce, if that is the case it's the biggest bodge of the century. Take up the laminate and see exactly what is underneath is your first step.

7. RealLifeNerd

RealLifeNerd New Member

I am not even sure that there are floorboards under there, but what else can it be? It is a ground level kitchen but the floor is suspended, as it moves a little when you walk on it. If you jump on it you can tell that it is not a solid concrete floor ..

8. masterdiy

masterdiy Active Member

Andy asks,
    • So do I just sand the edges of the current laminate down, so it is all level, or just rip it all up?
    • Should I be worrying about the slight bounce?
    • Can I get the vinyl laid without having to remove all the fitted Units?
    Ask yourself the question. Do I want a floor that bounces?
    No.
    So, do the job once, & do it right.
    Everything out & do it right.
    This now is sock rollid.

Attached Files:

9. goldenboy

goldenboy Well-Known Member

Most likely the "bounce" is caused by the laminate. Either it is pinching somewhere or more likely its been mopped and spilled on and is at the end of its life.

Definitely lift it before a new floor goes in.

Best to take endpanels and plinths off to put new floor in.

Big recommendation from me for Quickstep Livyn click vinyl. Superb stuff.

Did a big Amtico Clicksmart floor last week. Its good but the Livyn is better in my opinion.