Kitchen floor

Discussion in 'Other Trades Talk' started by John@KC, Oct 7, 2004.

1. John@KC

John@KC New Member

I want to tile my kitchen floor with ceramic tiles.

The floor area is only 2.5 Metres X 2.7 Metres, but half the floor is wooden floor boards and half is quarry tiles, quite a common layout I believe in the days of solid fuel boiler standing in the corner.

I intend covering the whole floor in 9mm WBP ply,what is the best method of fixing the ply to the quarry tile area? Drill through then push a plug through?

When I ripped up the old ply from the quarry tile part of the floor it was a bit musty smelling, so wondered if the floor should be sealed with something prior to laying the ply

Could the professional tilers please tell me the very best adhesive to use for the tiles, also what would you charge to do a job like this?

Many thanks for any advice.

John

2. Assuming the two surfaces are at the same level I'd cover this with tile backer board.

You have a couple of choices here...

My personal favourite Aquapanel which is fibre reinforced cement sheets 1200x900x12.5 Glue and screw this to the floor boards using rapidset flexible adhesive and the correct self drilling aquapanel screws. A screw every 12" is enough. When you get to the quarry tiles you just need to glue it - no need to do all the drilling and plugging.
    Cut all the board over the entire room dry. then mix the adhesive and glue each sheet down and screw immediately whilst the adhesive is still wet. 2hrs later you can start laying the tiles but best left overnight to set completely.

Alternative is either lux board or wedi board, this is just a different design of board which will be far more expensive but much easier to cut. Glued and screwed in the same way.

As far as adhesive goes, BAL rapidset flexible will cover prtty much any application, this will stick Ceramic or Porcelain. If it's something other than this then post again.

What would I charge?.....without looking at it, somewhere between £400 - £500 materials + vat to prepare, board tile and grout. Tiles not included in the price. But I'd need to take look for an exact price.

Hope that helps.

3. John@KC

John@KC New Member

Mudster

Brilliant, thanks very much for your reply.

Just a couple of points, I gather you prefer the 1200 X 900 Aquapanels rather than the 2240 X 1200, is this for easier handling? I was wondering about the larger number of joints, or is this not a problem. I must admit I would rather handle the smaller panels.

Also on the subject of joints, is there any sort of jointing tape needed with the Aquapanel?

Thanks again

John

4. Knauf have stopped producing the 2400x1200 sheets, too little interest it seems. If you can get hold of sheets this size it'd suggest going with them. None of my local suppliers ever stocked the larger sheets, I always had to order in especially from Nichols & Clarke in London.

Specification says you should use a jointing tape, aquapanel have their own which looks suspiciously like plasterboard jointing tape, to be quite frank if you're gluing and screwing these boards they simply are not going to move. I've never used it for this type of application but I do tape the joints if using aquapanel for stud walling.

Remember to stagger the sheets so you don't get continuous joints across the room and you should ever have a problem. The floor will feel extremely sound once set and don't forget to use flexble grout as well as the adhesive.