Kitchen grid switch and boiler programmer

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by HOI41992, Oct 22, 2021.

1. HOI41992

HOI41992 New Member

We are in the middle of having our kitchen done, we were hoping the fitters would be able to replace the sockets/switches in the room as they are all old and yellowed. Unfortunately the fitters are only happy to replace the standard sockets and light switch.

We have a Siemens Rwb29 programmer for our boiler which is yellowed and as far as I can work out some of the buttons don’t work as I can’t set the timer. Other than that the heating and hot water both work as should. Ideally we would replace this with a ‘smart’ programmer but not essential. My question is, is this an easy enough thing to do for someone with a basic DIY knowledge or should I approach a tradesman?

The other thing they won’t replace is a kitchen grid switch. Again, we were hoping to replace for aesthetic purposes. Is this best done by an electrician? I’ve replaced plenty of standard three pin sockets but that is about the extent of my electrical DIY adventures.

Attached Files:

2. Comlec

Comlec Screwfix Select

Don't like to be the bearer of bad news but you should have thought about doing this work before you completed the tiling.

If you are lucky you may be able to get new yokes (the metal bit that holds the grid switches in place) and fit new switches and a swish new cover.

My suggestion is that you employ a spark to do this work and leave the kitchen fitters to fit the kitchen.

Good luck with your project.

3. collectors

collectors Member

75% chance the programmer is a standard fit to many makes, just loosen the grub screw underneath & lift it off. "with the power off" same again with the switches, gently clean the switches with cotton buds & buy just a new front plate. Maybe get a satin chrome plate so it doesn't show the switches white comparison.