Kitchen Hood Extractor 100mm or 150mm Core

Discussion in 'Kitchen Fitters' Talk' started by kiteboy, Oct 26, 2018.

1. kiteboy

kiteboy New Member

Hi

Just thinking about what extractor we need for new kitchen in new extension - I see that most of the extractors that Ive been looking at are 150mm

Just spoke to sparky and he said put a 150mm to 100mm reducer on there and cut the hole through the wall at 100mm

Is there any issues with that?? I gather a ridgid pipe is better than the corrugated stuff??

Thanks for any tips

2. KIAB

KIAB Well-Known Member

Bad idea!

Go for 150mm every time, will allow you to use a wider range of extractors,even those with higher extraction rates, using 100mm can restrict extraction,effiency & make hood noisey.
    And use 150mm rigid ducting, put a very slight fall on ducting to allow any moisture to escape,rather than laying in ducting.

3. kiteboy

kiteboy New Member

Argh so its a slight fall - I was going to go for a slight rise to allow air to escape - ok thats fab - thanks

4. KIAB

KIAB Well-Known Member

Just a few mm's,all that's needed.

5. kitfit1

kitfit1 Well-Known Member

Never use 100mm ducting if the native outlet size of the cooker hood is 150mm. It will reduce the ability of the hood to shift air by 30%, it will also increase the noise the hood generates significantly. Sparky's know nothing about hood ducting or kitchen fitting, so ignore him.

Jord86 and KIAB like this.
  6. kiteboy

kiteboy New Member

Thanks all - will be looking to buy a 152mm core bit then!

7. KIAB

KIAB Well-Known Member

Hire one,about a fiver.