Kitchen plumbing for 2 appliances

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by 123456, Dec 6, 2017.

1. 123456

123456 New Member

2. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

That is an unusual overflow arrangement. One assumes that if the main sink overflows it discharges into the half sink however what happens if the plug is in for the half sink? Am I missing something? The reason I ask is that if there is something amiss, you might be able to use one of the 'spare' overflow ports for your second appliance once the overflow is sorted.

3. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

4. The Teach

The Teach Screwfix Select

Without seeing the sink waste plumbing upclose but it looks like as mentioned by ^ the sink over flow is fitted incorrectly usually the flexible black pipe is fitted to a spigot on the side of large bowl and terminate to the left where it is now.
    Then the small spigot on the large bowl waste can be adapted to use as an appliance drain,the small spigot has the same type of reinforced plastic nut as used for dishwasher/washing machines spigots (compare the nuts).Looking closer at this fitting something like ptfe appears to have been used to create a water seal.

The existing waste plumbing can be altered to provide an appliance drain or leave it as it is (although it looks incorrect) and fit that macalpine bowl kit.
    Ensure everything is tightened up,your bottle trap looks like it is coming away from the vertical pipe ;)

123456 Why have you purchased a fitting with dual connections are you fitting a condensing tumble dryer ?

5. 123456

123456 New Member

Thank you for all your replies. This plumbing was in place when I moved here so I have no idea what is wrong/right. At the moment it has a dishwasher connected on the left - my washing machine has been moved out of a utility room and now needs to be added to this arrangement hence buying the double connector.

I understand what you are saying about the over flow - yes the water does flow from basin to basin when full or when one is maybe a bit blocked - when emptying the large one the small one has foam bubbles coming up in it which is obviously wrong.

Would it be possible for anyone to draw me a simple diagram of how I can fix my arrangement and also add in the extra outlet for the washing machine. I need to do this as cheaply as possible as on my own and being just before xmas money is tight.

Many thanks :)

6. 123456

123456 New Member

7. metrokitchens

metrokitchens Screwfix Select

Change the bottle trap to an appliance spigot trap.

8. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

It would be a swap for the dishwasher attachment on the left of your photo - dishwasher to one spigot, washing machine to the other.

KIAB likes this.
  9. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]