Kitchen rewire

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by hanky, Nov 2, 2003.

1. hanky

hanky New Member

Having recently moved to a new house, we (the royal we!) have decided to have a new kitchen fitted. I gathered that this would require some rewiring so I thought it best to check out what was there already. Wished I hadn't. Not the greatest install ever seen then again probably not the worst.

My question is that bearing in mind just about nothing is in the right place, cooker, sockets etc that the kitchen needs rewiring......however the floor is concrete and currently sockets are supplied from above, presumably spurs of a ring as all are singly cabled. The cooker circuit comes up to a blanking plate on one wall, the cable runs through the ceiling space above and back down to the switch on another wall.

Have any of you an idea of the best way of approaching this, the kitchen is not going to be cheap so conduit is not desirable nor are blanking plates (as there currently are). I would like the best finish possible. My ideas so far are:
    1) New ring supplied to kitchen wired from ceiling to socket (rather than floor socket) along with new cooker circuit.
    2) Converting two current radial outlets (2x2.5mm), although neither are in ideal starting positions.

I would greatly appreciate any advice. I guess the floors are going to have to come up. I simply want the best job for the least disruption (bl**dy laminate floor).

Thanks.

2. sparky (Original)

sparky (Original) New Member

personaly i would rewire it to keep it looking neat ( I would like the best finish possible) and blanking plates would make it look unsightly wire it as a ring from the ceiling down also run in a radial for the cooker if its electric not gas

3. supersparky

supersparky New Member

Sounds like you will need to rewire,laminate floor is a b*tch! to get up...more of a ***** gettin it back down, can you not either
    a)take down the ceiling altogether for acsess from below
    or
    b)cut accsess holes in the ceiling above each of your new sockets
    or
    c)use butt crimps at the blankplate positions(not the best solution but gets rid of the blank plates)
    or
    d)sell up and move

4. sparky (Original)

a)take down the ceiling altogether for acsess from
    below
    or
    b)cut accsess holes in the ceiling above each of your
    new sockets
    or
    c)use butt crimps at the blankplate positions(not the
    best solution but gets rid of the blank plates)
    or
    d)sell up and move

sounds like your best bet is to sell up and move.

5. supersparky

supersparky New Member

and i agree with sparks, you would be betteroff re wireing it, put in the new cooker feed even if its a gas cooker, if you move over to electric in the future there will be no chopping out walls(rate it 20amp at the cu just use 10/6mm2 cable, if is needed in the future just uprate the breaker)

6. hanky

hanky New Member

Suggested moving to other half, I guess you can imagine the reply!

I have had a look at the laminate, the skirting boards are only as old as the laminate itself and are screwed to the walls. With a bit of luck, it'll come up OK, I have some spare anyway, so it isn't the end of the world if a few boards get trashed. The rest of the run is either carpeted or bare boards anyway. I am having a gas hob and electric over, I have checked and it requires a 30A supply (6mm OK for that?).

Cheers for the advice, I had pretty much guessed, just hoping for an easier solution!!!

7. supersparky

supersparky New Member

32amp braker fine for 6mm

BR

ps lamanate is still a *****!

8. sparky (Original)

yes 6mm is fine for that. hope all goes well

9. hanky

hanky New Member

Tell me about it, previous owner loved the stuff, and bl**dy cream carpets. Fine is you never want to take the floor up or walk around the house!! Hmm, why did we buy the house again??!!

Cheers.

10. oldsparky

oldsparky New Member

One thing I would never be without is a length of stiff wire. (Screwfix no:D82147-77 £3.98 for 30 mtrs) with this item you can lessen the need to lift boards or make darn great holes in your ceiling, just a small aperture or even a drill hole in the right place and you can hook one end under the boards right across a room under the boards or up through the ceiling. a 1/4 inch hook bent on each end with one person pushing towards you and you twisting about from your end and you will soon hook onto each other, (I have even done this single handed when required.)no doubt all you mod sparks out there have used this trick many a time!!!. Ever tried to wire a ground floor house extension without tearing the roof off? this always works.
    Anyway hope this helps, I am only 71 yrs, but I still like to keep my hand in for friends, so you should be able to cope with the above, if not please come back, together we will be infallible !!! Good luck.

11. sparky (Original)

12. supersparky

supersparky New Member

I recently ordered one and i can tell you the screwfix ones are sh^t, they dont come with the magenet, ring or anything, all you get with them is a hook, which lasts seconds and a standard loop, if you want the magnet and the other stuff you gotta order the spares pack, which seems a bit deceving as you never had the stuff in the firstplace, you better off getting it from a wholesaler

BR

13. sparky (Original)

what a rip off i didn't buy mine from screwfix i ordered it from Edmundsons

14. supersparky

supersparky New Member

yea if id known id have got it from my wholesalers, but as i was placing an order it was a temptatiom.......

BR

15. sparky (Original)

well you learn by your mistakes

16. supersparky

supersparky New Member

Looks like i will have to

BR

17. hanky

hanky New Member

Just another couple of questions (probably won't be the last!).....is there a max length I can run 6mm for a 30A circuit. I am looking at about 15m give or take a meter.

Also, are there any specific rules for running cables under floor boards. I have lifted some of mine and the cable is 'resting' on the ceiling below between joists and are in channels or passed through drilled holes through joists. Not a lot of clips, I have read that it is good practice to clip every 500mm or so but also read that you can simply rest the cable.

Would appreciate some pointers.

Cheers.

18. supersparky

supersparky New Member

resting the cable on the plasterboard is fine
    and the 6mm cable should also be fine but it depends on your cooker power, i dont know if you have posted it but here is how to caluculate amperarage: watts divided by voltage(230)= amps you shouldent have to worry about voltdrop unless its close to full load appliance is 30amps and cable is rated 32amps)
    you can also find a voltdrop calculator on www.tlc-direct.co.uk in the technical section

BR

19. sparky (Original)

20. hanky

hanky New Member

Total load will not exceed 5.1Kw, so 6mm is more than adequate. The voltage drop calculation reckoned 2.5mm would be OK over 15m. Think I'll stick with the 6mm.

Thanks for the advice.

Just the laminate floor to go...........!!!!!