Kitchen Sink Tap replacement help

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Proudarse, Jun 14, 2019.

  1. Proudarse

    Proudarse Member

    Hi All

    My kitchen tap is dripping and as it was a cheap tap which lasted 3 years I don't want to mess around with buying ceramic cartridge replacements etc, and just want to replace it.

    I have narrowed down my choices to one of these

    Now the bit I'm confused about is connecting the flexi pipe to the isolated valve I already have underneath my kitchen sink inside the cupboard. Please see pic attached...

    I assume all I need to do is turn the flathead screw horizontally so it cuts of the water and then unscrew the nut highlighted in red, and then attach the flexi pipe from the new tap in the same way?

    The Grohe StartEdge mixer in the first link apparently requires a coupler to fit a 15mm pipe which the reviewers have mentioned is required, this has confused me even more as I'm not sure how to connect the coupler to where the nut highlighted in red is currently connected.

    Would really appreciate some help with this.

    Thank you

    Attached Files:

  2. Heat

    Heat Screwfix Select

    Strictly speaking you should not directly connect to an isolating valve or any brass connector or elbow using the flexi tap hose.
    The flexi has a flat rubber washer which is supposed to meet a flat face.
    Iso valves like in your photo and other compression fittings are designed for pipes and olives and have a sharp tapered edge.
    You need either pair of adapters from Screwfix to connect the hoses to and it goes into your isolating valve using a nut and olive. (You will need to buy nuts & olives if you don’t already have any, or one brass connector to rob the parts from).
    Or you can use 1/2” x 15mm male straights, which are similar to the adapters I mentioned.
    dobbie and Proudarse like this.
  3. Proudarse

    Proudarse Member

    Hello Heat,

    Thanks for your detailed answer, I assume then what the plumber originally did was not best practice? Wouldn't surprise me at all.

    I assume you mean one of these?

    I'm guessing the left side where the threads are is where the flexi pipe will connect and the right side where the nut is that will connect to the isolating valve? I guess I will have to undo the nut place it over the isolating valve and then push in the rest of the male straight and tighten? Not sure if this will have an olive inside it.

    Thank you again
  4. Proudarse

    Proudarse Member

    Also, the nut I highlighted in red in the picture, am I right in assuming this nut is a part of the flexi hose that came with the tap?
  5. dobbie

    dobbie Screwfix Select

    Heat and Proudarse like this.
  6. dobbie

    dobbie Screwfix Select

    Yes,that is part of the flexi tap tail.
    Proudarse likes this.
  7. Proudarse

    Proudarse Member

    Hello Dobbie, thanks for taking the time to reply.

    Are you saying all I need is two of those connectors you linked to and connect one end to the nut of the flexi tail and the other end to the isolating valve using an olive?

    Sorry I have never done this sort of stuff before and will give it a go. If anything goes wrong then I'll call the plumber in.

    Thanks chaps
  8. Joe the Plumber

    Joe the Plumber Screwfix Select

    I usually just file the top face of the isolator valve flat so that it doesn't cut into the sealing washer in the flexible connector. As long as I get a flat face a little over 1mm wide for the washer to seat on, I've never had any problems, and I've probably done hundreds like that over the years.

    Ideally I'd modify some isolator valves in my lathe to get a perfect flat sealing face, but I never seem to get round to it.
    Proudarse likes this.
  9. Proudarse

    Proudarse Member

    Thanks Joe for your input.

    Can you guys please check out the video below from 4 minutes onwards. Would this not work for me too if the flexi tail end connector is the correct size as per the 2nd item I linked in my original post? Looks to be the same isolating valve I have or am I just not getting this?

  10. dobbie

    dobbie Screwfix Select

    That is bad advice on the video to connect straight onto the bolofix valve.
    The valve is made for an olive to seat into and can be sharp with the possibility of cutting into the rubber washer on the flexi.
    To safeguard against this happening that is why you should fit a tap tail adapter.
    Heat and Proudarse like this.
  11. Proudarse

    Proudarse Member

    Ok now I understand what you mean.

    Did you previously say that all I would need to do this properly is to buy two of these:

    I assume the bit highlighted in red connects to the isolating valve with a nut and olive which I will need to buy separately.

    And the bit highlighted in green is where the flexi tail connects?

    Really appreciate your help.


    Attached Files:

  12. terrymac

    terrymac Screwfix Select

    Be aware that the first link to tap you are considering has 3/8inch bsp threads at the flexible hose ends and the second one has 1/2 inch bsp threads. You will need tap tail adaptors to suit.
    Heat and Proudarse like this.
  13. Proudarse

    Proudarse Member

    Hey Terry, to save the hassle I'm buying the tap in the 2nd link which I believe has a standard sized connector.

  14. dobbie

    dobbie Screwfix Select

    Yes that is correct as long as the flexi's are 1/2 inch which the second tap has.
    Proudarse likes this.
  15. terrymac

    terrymac Screwfix Select

    Yes ,all correct

    Edit.. Sorry dobbie ,didn't see your post
    Proudarse likes this.
  16. Proudarse

    Proudarse Member

  17. terrymac

    terrymac Screwfix Select

    Yes ,but a bag of 20 olives is a lot of spares !!!
    Heat and Proudarse like this.
  18. Proudarse

    Proudarse Member

    Yeah I'll probably never need to use them anytime soon and if I do then god help you boys, as I'll probably spam these threads again.

    I'll see if I can buy a few otherwise it's not that expensive so I'll just buy the ones I linked.

    You guys have been amazing, can't thank you enough for your help.

    Wish me luck, chaps.
    Heat likes this.
  19. terrymac

    terrymac Screwfix Select

    You only need two nuts and two olives ,just buy a 15mm compression straight coupler and use the olives and nuts from it.
    Proudarse, dobbie and Heat like this.
  20. Proudarse

    Proudarse Member

Share This Page