Kitchen Splashback tiling - DIY

Discussion in 'Tilers' Talk' started by DIY_Dobbleson, Nov 28, 2021.

Tags:
  1. DIY_Dobbleson

DIY_Dobbleson New Member

Hi!

I have an area behind our sink and cooker that I'm looking to tile.
    I've removed the old tiles and one side is nice and flat, so no issues there, however, behing the sink some of the plaster has come off. there is a hole about 3mm deep and whole sections that the plaster is missing. What would you recommend to repair the plaster? Do I need to? could I just use more tile adhesive when I start?

I'd be greatful for any advice :)

Thanks,
    Josh

Attached Files:

2. woodbutcherbower

woodbutcherbower Well-Known Member

I'm a joiner, not a tiler - but I've tiled countless kitchens with walls just like that. Just pop on a thicker bed of adhesive in the affected areas if there are only bits and it's only 3mm. On areas where the holes/damage is deeper - I've usually filled the holes with tile adhesive and let it set first.

I obviously stand to be corrected by a more knowledgeable 'proper' tiler - but I've never had a tile fall off yet.

Creek, Muzungu and DIY_Dobbleson like this.
  3. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Screwfix Select

What @woodbutcherbower says - use more adhesive. Use a cement (powder) based adhesive rather than ready mixed. Cement based sets by chemical reaction and will set at any thickness. Ready mixed sets by air exposure and will stay soft for ages when really thick (and behind large format tiles may take forever to set).

DIY_Dobbleson likes this.
  4. DIY_Dobbleson

DIY_Dobbleson New Member

@woodbutcherbower, @Mr Rusty - thanks for the advice! That's really helpful :)
    The tiles are (L)150 x (W)75 x (D)9mm - so shouldn't be too difficult. Any advice on best adhesive? Do I need a "Showerproof" adhesive as they will be placed behind a sink?

5. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Screwfix Select

DIY_Dobbleson likes this.
  6. McSport

McSport Active Member

7. JimTiler

JimTiler Member

Cement based tile adhesives and grouts aren’t waterproof but they are water resistant, that’s why tanking is important for wet areas such as showers.

Just sbr prime the area to be tiled, fill the dips with adhesive as you tile. Tbh the cement render behind the plaster skim is a better surface to tile to than the skim itself.

Mr Rusty and WillyEckerslike like this.
  8. DIY_Dobbleson

DIY_Dobbleson New Member

Hi everyone, thank you for all your help on this! Turns out I was making a big deal over not a lot, the job turned out great and I just used a little extra tile adhesive for the gaps. Really happy with how it turned out, espcially for my first try at tiling.

Attached Files:

McSport, Muzungu and pppmacca43 like this.
  9. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Screwfix Select

Looks great. :)

10. Jiml86

Jiml86 Screwfix Select

Smashing job, well done