Kitchen Tap Hoses - Old type - New type difference

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by WelshBob, Feb 14, 2019.

1. WelshBob

WelshBob New Member

Just noticed that the connectors on the flexible hoses of my old kitchen tap have the thread built into the hose (on the opposite end to the tap), where as the new hoses have the thread in the nut. Do I need to change the joint on the pipework so that the new hoses have something to screw onto or can I buy new hoses that match the old ones? Thanks.

2. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Well-Known Member

It’s not a case of old / new style, just that there’s several different fittings available on flexi hoses (as with most plumbing fittings)

Easiest solution would be to buy new set of hoses that match your existing set up - with internal thread ? Female fitting / tap connector end

Not expensive but buy quality brand (WRAS aproved) not cheapo

New supplied hoses are compression fit, so connect to 15mm pipe with an olive and nut

If you fancy some plumbing and want to use supplied hoses, post a picture of what uv got and suggestions will be forthcoming, I’m sure :)

Do old hoses screw direct onto isolation valves ?

3. WelshBob

WelshBob New Member

many thanks for the reply. I think I'll head off with some snaps and see if I can get a new set of hoses with a 15mm compression fit as you've suggested. There's no isolation valves unfortunately - so get hoses with isolation valve built in?

4. just pumps

just pumps Active Member

No! Seperate isolation valves everytime for me. Then whenever you have to do any work on the tap or replace the hose the iso valve stays in place.

5. WelshBob

WelshBob New Member

Many thanks.

6. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Well-Known Member

That’s it Bob, compression fit on pipe end, should go straight into excising olive and nut (as long as fitting not over tightened and damaged)

Think I misunderstood fitting you had but uv got it :)

As you will have discovered, isolation valves on hot and cold would have been a nice luxury !

Not difficult to fit, not expensive, your just going to need a short length of pipe to connect hoses onto from valve

Good luck

7. just pumps

just pumps Active Member

OR buy the isolation valves with a flat face for the hose connection to mate against. ;)

8. WelshBob

WelshBob New Member

Thanks all. I think I've now got enough info' to do the job. Cheers.

9. dcox

dcox Active Member

Have you found some? Was thinking the other day that something like that would be useful.

WillyEckerslike likes this.
  10. WelshBob

WelshBob New Member

No, for various reasons I've now had to put the job on temporary hold and haven't had time to get the new hoses today - but it will be done!

11. just pumps

just pumps Active Member

They have been on sale for some time now.

12. dcox

dcox Active Member

Will have to get some for stock - just hadn’t seen them before.

13. kitfit1

kitfit1 Well-Known Member

I think you can get them, but not from our hosts. We gave up buying them years ago because of cost (at least 3 times the price of a standard ISO as i remember). We use a diamond sharpening block (for chisels) to flatten one end, takes less than a min for each ISO.....................jobby jobbed :D

WillyEckerslike likes this.