Kitchen tiles keep coming loose. help needed

Discussion in 'Tilers' Talk' started by Jamie G, Apr 3, 2020.

1. Jamie G

Jamie G Member

Hi all, we remodelled our house 5 years ago and I have been having problems with my kitchen floor. We have 600x600 tiles installed and after a period of a couple of years they started to break away from the adhesive. I have lifted, removed the old adhesive and redone once and the same thing happened. My floor construction is;

600x600 ceramic tile
    Flexible tile adhesive
    10mm (i think) plywood
    18mm chipboard
    150mm (i think) suspended timber floor (this does have a wet underfloor heating system between the joists with a 100mm rigid insulation at the bottom with water pipe and 50mm dry screed infill.

Can anyone offer any advice or if you need any other information just ask. I am at a bit of a loss how to fix. For info I did not lay the floor orginally it was done by a builder/tiler. But as it took a couple of years to shaw any problems they wouldnt fix.

Thanks,

Jamie

2. DannyDoLittle

DannyDoLittle Active Member

Sounds like the adhesive is simply drying out as the timber is porous and with the underfloor heating it's drying it out even quicker.

Have you sealed the timber before putting down the tiles??? 50/50 PVA & water??? that'll stop the timber from pulling the moisture out of the adhesive

3. rogerk101

rogerk101 Screwfix Select

Is there any flex in the floor? Flexible tile adhesive and flexible grout both have limits to the amount that they can flex, and maybe your floor is too prone to movement, whether through loading or through changes in humidity levels.
    Are the tile adhesive and grout fresh when applied? They both have limited shelf-lives and lose their strength rapidly after a few months of storage ... even faster when opened ... and faster still if stored somewhere that is even slightly humid.
    The next time you lay them, you might consider using a separation membrane (sold in most reputable tiling shops) to separate the wooden subfloor from the tiles. This helps both with movement separation and with preventing the wood from sucking the moisture out of the tile adhesive before it can set naturally, leaving it strength compromised.

4. Hfs

Hfs Active Member

Put ditra mat down then then tile on top of that.

TheMorg likes this.
  5. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Are you using the correct tile adhesive for your tiles ?

Powdered, flexible adhesive is best for floors and large format tiles and needs to be suitable for tile material - ie, some adhesives aren’t suitable for porcelain tiles

So yes, flex in the floor is probably the No. 1 tile killer (even when using flexible ady/grout

Then sealing the timber prior to tiling with either diluted SBR or specific tile sealer - NOT PVA

Then using quality powdered/ flexible adhesive and grout, suited to tile material

But with underfloor heating, yes, addition of decoupling membrane the way to go

6. candoabitofmoststuff

candoabitofmoststuff Screwfix Select

Flexible adhesive, and flexible grout, meant for tiling on wooden floors.

Cando