Kitchen units with no legs - does this look ok to you?

Discussion in 'Kitchen Fitters' Talk' started by MijWithSpanners, Feb 10, 2024.

1. MijWithSpanners

MijWithSpanners New Member

I’ve taken all the kick boards off our units (mouse / cold issues), and discovered the section holding a double oven and two cupboards doesn’t have any legs, and just appears to have two bits of mdf wedged under it.

The kitchen was put in for a previous owner over 10yrs ago so it’s obviously holding, but we need to take one of the ovens out to replace an element, and I’m now feeling wary of disturbing this precarious looking set up.

I can’t see a good reason why it was done this way - any ideas?

is it possible to retrofit legs before we start hauling the oven out?

IMG_1630.jpeg

image.jpg

2. FlyByNight

FlyByNight Screwfix Select

Possible to fit legs - if you can find ones that fit. Or buy ones with the mount and ensure there is one in the front left.

Leave the chipboard in place, fit legs, slowly wind out until the board becomes very slightly loos which will put the legs at te right length.

3. billysloke

billysloke Active Member

That's appalling

I would have used a brick

4. big all

big all Screwfix Select

assuming 120-140mm clearance underneath, you would need an angle driver so perhaps no nails on the leg top and as flybynight says but just be aware because the cabinets will be screwed side to side and the worktop will be tight on top you may not get the wood physically loose to any extent so dont force it too much as it can stay in situ iff not in the way

5. MijWithSpanners

Thanks, I know the make of the units and who stocks them locally so I’ve got a chance.

6. MijWithSpanners

Thanks, really helpful. I’m not too bothered about the chipboard being there; the absence of more appropriate load-bearing structure is what’s on my mind. Though removing at least one of them would make it easier to get at the draughty gaps I want to fill.

I really don’t get why it was like that in the first place though. Other than whoever fitted it being a half-a-job Harry.

7. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

They either needed extra height on the unit if the legs were wound down as far as they’d go, or more likely assembled it then tried to stand the unit up on an angle putting pressure on the back legs and they snapped off.

WillyEckerslike likes this.
  8. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

The way that some of the legs (or at least their mounts) have been fitted means that additional strain may be placed on the construction of the carcass so that they are taking loads they weren't designed to take. Oddly enough the chipboard offcuts are compensating for that in places.

In principle, anything that can hold the carcass up at the right height will suffice - pieces of wood and wedges, our afformentioned brick or even an easy to adjust extendable plastic tube that could take a proprietary clip for mounting a plinth/kickboard, hmm.... They all do the same job although the latter is by far the easiest.

Some plastic leg mounts are cam shaped and the offset part is meant to be fitted so that it offers some support to the sides of the carcass. This spreads the load, directly transfers it to the underside of the worktop and takes the pressure off the joints between the carcass floor and the sides with additional mechanical support. Howdens cabinets no longer use this method so the load on (and inside) the carcass is solely borne by the joint between the base and side of the carcass. In fairness to them I'm not aware of any failures in spite of my concerns.

Howdens' method does at least allow for a plinth to be mounted directly under the edge of a carcass when there is a return visible such as in your case with the left hand cabinet being shallower than it's neighbour and there are no decor panels in the design.

As it's been okay for 10 years I wouldn't worry about it. If you've got a couple of spare legs you could install those but you would have to buy a pack of 40 from our hosts otherwise. I think I'd be inclined to get find a long thin tube to stick on the end of your foam gun - McDonald's straws are quite good - fix a couple or more together with some masking tape.

Good luck with it whatever you decide.

9. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Screwfix Select

Talk about a mountain out of a mole hill. Buy a pack of legs https://www.screwfix.com/p/hafele-kitchen-plinth-feet-black-150mm-30-pack/36145, position them and tighten up. Job jobbied. They don't really need screwing in place - the screws are only for initial location - they won't go anywhere! If you want to have them hold in place, then a blob of CT1 or the works on the mount before you tighten will see them there for ever - you might want to do this if using the plinth clips.

stevie22 and dray like this.
  10. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Sorry to link to competitor but T St sell the legs as a four pack, saves the OP having 26 legs as spares !

https://www.toolstation.com/hafele-kitchen-unit-leg-set/p61932?_br_psugg_q=kitchen+cabinet+legs

These legs have a plastic stub that pops into a pre-drilled hole in (some) cabinet bases which acts as a locator, as Willy mentions, this then sits the leg mount partially over cabinet sides to offer additional support

The make of the units is irrelevant, these, or any other similiar legs will work. You can saw off plastic stub and then position legs where practical as may not have pre-drilled holes for them. As mentioned, can 'glue' in place with a No Nails type gunk or silicon will work, once height adjustment made, they wont move anyway. If you fancy adding screws, then tighten legs to 'lock' in place, tap a nail upwards through mounting plate holes to make a crude pilot hole then using a stubby screwdriver, wind in some 4x16 screws (or thereabouts)

11. techie

techie Screwfix Select

lump of 4x3... and maybe a packer or two...? Awkward to cut a brick to size!

Astramax likes this.
  12. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Placed along the edges not the middle.;)

13. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Jeeeez ,,,,
    For a little over 2 and a half quid just buy a set of 4 legs, chuck them under and wind up/down into position / with or without ‘glue’ / screws / chewing gum / etc - friction fit kinda thing, no packers needed

14. techie

techie Screwfix Select

Dave, it was in jest…..

15. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

ha ha and phew,,,,,,, I can relax now (more or less, never totally though)

Fair play mate, you got me !

16. techie

techie Screwfix Select

17. techie

techie Screwfix Select