Kitchen wall units - what is this?

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Londonwriter, Nov 29, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Londonwriter

Londonwriter New Member

Hello everyone
    We are in the process of giving the kitchen in the flat we have just bought a facelift. We've changed the cabinet doors and drawer fronts and are now looking to tackle the splash back. However there are these bits of wood under the wall hung cabinets either side of the extractor fan (see image)
    We can't figure out what they're for or how to remove them. Could it be that they're there for support? Haven't seen anything like this before.
    Thanks for your help.
    IMG_8175.JPG IMG_8175.JPG IMG_0326.JPG

2. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

To me, they look like battens supporting the cabinets. Not normally required as there should be two supports at the top of each cabinet with "hooks" that go onto a small wall plate. I wonder if whoever installed them had difficulty screwing the wall plates securely to the wall e.g. if the wall is plasterboard, dot n dabbed or studwork?

3. teabreak

teabreak Screwfix Select

Might just be a way to disguise the cable run.

KIAB likes this.
  4. Londonwriter

Londonwriter New Member

Thanks for your reply. The wall behind is probably plasterboard (it's a converted victorian house) but there are also further (I think chipboard) panels screwed onto that. We'd like to remove them ideally but are concerned about compromising the support of the units.

5. Londonwriter

Londonwriter New Member

Thanks for your reply. We considered that, but I think the cable goes through to the back and the batten seems solid. We're not sure how/if to remove it to find out for sure.

6. Londonwriter

Londonwriter New Member

Sorry I mean remove those battens not the chipboard panels

7. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

You could carefully have a go...empty the cabinets and see what other support there is e.g. cabinet hooks at the top. If there's nothing then you know these supports are all that's keeping them up - chances are the cabinets are screwed into each other. If there are hooks, they might not be solidly fixed to the wall. But with the cabinet empty you could then remove these battens and see how sturdy the cabinets are. Chances are that you will need to beef up the hook supports and walls plates onto the wall behind somehow (if fitted, if not you'll need to add some). How handy with DIY are you?

Londonwriter and kitfit1 like this.
  8. Isitreally

Isitreally Super Member

Have you got units over the sink ??

9. They only way you should be able to see these is if you bend down and look for them. Paint them unit or wall colour and only you will know they are there.

Fit a decorative lightshield along the front undersides of the units and you'll definitely only see them unless you are on the floor doing something you shouldn't.

Why do you want to remove them?

10. kitfit1

kitfit1 Screwfix Select

I'm in agreement with Dr Bodgit on this. Normally you only come across battens under wallcabs when the fitter has not been able to get a good fixing for the mounting brackets. If you take a wallcab down you can have a look to confirm this. What can happen is that a builder has dabbed the plasterboard so far from the solid wall that you could need a 3 or 4 inch screw to get a good fixing to stop the mounting bracket coming away from the plasterboard. That's fine, but the bracket can and usually does drop, hence the batten underneath the wallcabs to stop them from dropping.

Londonwriter and Dr Bodgit like this.
  11. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Those go right up the side of the units, and the whole thing looks suspiciously like a floor unit attached to the wall!!!

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

Londonwriter likes this.
  12. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

Are they lights for the mirror sides of the bay? There are wires going into each one.

13. Londonwriter

Londonwriter New Member

Thanks for the advice. I think we will give this a go - carefully!

14. Londonwriter

Londonwriter New Member

No definitely not. They’re solid pieces of wood. The cable just goes through them.

15. Londonwriter

Londonwriter New Member

That’s actually a really good point!! The whole kitchen is very poorly done. There were no sockets anywhere- just extensions in very bizarre places.

16. Londonwriter

Londonwriter New Member

Actually they’re visible from anywhere in the room - it’s a large kitchen diner. Plus they’re ugly and clearly an afterthought. They stick out a good inch over the splashback. A light shield wouldn’t work plus it would be annoying as the cupboards are already fairly low over the sink and worktop.

17. Londonwriter

Londonwriter New Member

Yes - that’s pretty standard no?

18. WillyEckerslike

It's pretty unusual in my experience. I'm still struggling to make out the pictures. Are they mirrors on either side? Can you post a photo from further back which shows more of the layout?

19. Londonwriter

Londonwriter New Member

IMG_6086.JPG IMG_4697.JPG

WillyEckerslike likes this.
  20. WillyEckerslike

Thank you. It couldn't be any more different from what I was imagining. It had been a very long day....

Londonwriter likes this.