Kitchen waste into floor waste smelling

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Joelo, Feb 19, 2019.

1. Joelo

Joelo New Member

Hi guys I have moved into a new build house 1 month old and have noticed a strong smell coming from a big pipe in the ground.

I have took some pictures and advise will be great.

( I have tried foaming up around the big hole waste pipe but the smell is still there.

Attached Files:

2. Joelo

Joelo New Member

I’ve found out the smell is now coming from an internal drain connector. I had this sealed with expanding foam but could still smell the drain

Attached Files:

3. ecoplumbing

ecoplumbing Active Member

Contact the people who built the house. Repairs like this are fully covered if it's a new build, ideally a smoke test from the outside inspection chamber should identify where the smell is coming from

WillyEckerslike and KIAB like this.
  4. Joelo

Joelo New Member

Thanks will do

5. shredder

shredder New Member

What a shoddy plumbing.

6. Crowsfoot

Crowsfoot Screwfix Select

I wouldn't have used foam for that job a smear of "no nails" or some sand and cement over the top of it would have been better for sealing it up.

7. Joelo

Joelo New Member

Would this type of drain be bad to cover up permanently? Would I need access to it for any reason in the future if I seal it up with no nails

8. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

That doesn't look like a waste pipe. It looks like ducting for the water supply pipe.

WillyEckerslike likes this.
  9. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

Agreed. That's exactly what it looks like in the photos.

10. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Only thing I can think. The ducting (110mm pipe) is acting as a conduit to bring in smell from a damaged joint outside in ground.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2019
  11. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

40mm waste pipe, how is this connected to waste system, it looks like it's going down.

Joelo likes this.
  12. Joelo

Joelo New Member

Yes the white pipe which is 40mm is going into the floor. If I can permanently seal it off to stop the smell can I do this ? As this is where the smell is coming from

I’ve contacted the builder and they will most likely put expanding foam around it again and it will still smell so I’d like to do it myself if possible or replace the connector

Attached Files:

13. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Need to do some more investigative work. Is there an inspection chamber outside?

Shouldnt have to seal the black connector.

Is it possible that the 40mm waste pipe is blocked? Is sink draining freely. The waste is serving quite a few appliances.

14. just pumps

just pumps Screwfix Select

Should of seeked help before using that foam - What a mess!!!

15. just pumps

just pumps Screwfix Select

No more than usual in the average kitchen!

16. Crowsfoot

Crowsfoot Screwfix Select

No, you could easily chip off a thin coating of "no nails".
    Plastic bungs whilst being water tight will sometimes allow a leakage of air especially in that upright position.

17. Joelo

Joelo New Member

I have covered it up with Plumbers Mait putty so I’ll see how that goes