Kitchen Worktop Install Job in Birmingham

Discussion in 'Kitchen Fitters' Talk' started by Achdz, Jan 29, 2019.

1. Achdz

Achdz New Member

Hi,

We want to take off existing U shape kitchen Laminate worktop with a chamfer corner for hob and install a new Laminate worktop with exact shape and size, plus an additional 2 meters of worktop to serve as breakfast table. We don't intend to move location of sink or hob but are planning to convert induction to gas (luckily there is a connection for gas behind the existing induction hob).

Roughly how much are we looking for the job excluding gas connection? Dimension are nearly 3m x 2.8 m x 2m x2mx1.5m ( utility worktop to the side).

I have received a Quote which seems to a quite high so any help with be appreciated so that I have a realistic idea on how much this will cost. Recommendations welcome.

Thanks,

Last edited: Jan 29, 2019
  2. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

What kind of tops?

3. Achdz

Achdz New Member

Laminate

4. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

My advice on here would be just to say what you have been quoted. You will get a lot more opinions.

5. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

As GB says, how much? Easy to mess up worktops and costly to rectify.

6. Achdz

Achdz New Member

Estimate is about £500 for fixing only.

7. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Probably about right if the fitters priced for two men, router cutter, circular saw blade, ancillaries like contact adhesive, silicone, etc.

8. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

Seems cheap.

Good couple of days work minimum getting that done.

U shaped Worktop with a 45 corner hob. Plus a breakfast bar section plus a utility section. Plus removal. Plus presumably plumbing in the sink.

How do you work £500 out as too expensive?

9. Muzungu

Muzungu Screwfix Select

I am not in the trade but that price seems fine to me. Will need a couple of blokes, at some time anyway, to shift the worktops around. Skilled job.

10. Achdz

Achdz New Member

It is estimated to be a day's work!! and not a full day for two person.

11. Achdz

Achdz New Member

Cheers. I am not too sure if all things are included. I will reconfirm.

12. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

Thats a lot of work to be done in a day single handed.

njm likes this.
  13. Achdz

Achdz New Member

One person full day plus someone for help, maybe couple of hours...

14. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

Will be a right rush.

15. kitfit1

kitfit1 Screwfix Select

OP, when you say you are replacing with a laminate top do you mean laminate with a chipboard core, or do you mean Solid laminate ?

Either way, £500 is dirt cheap and there is no way that can be done in a normal working day, not properly anyway. If it's actually solid laminate, then it would be 2 days work and should be nearer to £1000 than £500.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2019
    goldenboy likes this.
  16. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Unless of course he may be planning to jigsaw out the openings and then use worktop joint strips ......... :oops:

17. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

Exactly my thoughts.

kitfit1 likes this.
  18. njm

njm Member

I suppose if you say £100 for materials(cutter, silicone,bolts, biscuits,glue,screws) it leaves £200 quid per man for a day unless its a fitter with a labourer and paying him less say £100. I think you could do it in a day but it would be a long day, you'd have to be there early and hit the ground running. I reckon its about 2 hours work per mitre of which there sounds like 2 to cut?, 3-4 edges to glue on and trim=1hr, a sink to cut in and fit/plumb=2hrs, straight breakfast bar which i presume will be fixed on batton at back and front legs=1hr so youve got 8rs there and thats if everything goes well! No lunch either

Achdz likes this.
  19. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

Sounds all very rushed. For me its a couple of days work. Nearer to £1000 than £500

kitfit1 likes this.
  20. kitfit1

kitfit1 Screwfix Select

GB, the OP hasn't bothered to reply so is more than likely just going to go with lowest quote they get.

No doubt in a few days or weeks we will see a "Do you think this is right" thread from the same OP.

Achdz and goldenboy like this.