Kitchen worktop join - advice needed please

Discussion in 'Kitchen Fitters' Talk' started by sparkkle, Nov 14, 2017.

1. sparkkle

sparkkle New Member

Hi all

I have got some great advice from this forum - thanks! This is my first post though. My parents recently had their kitchen replaced and it looks great but the fitter (a family friend) has left a poor worktop join which is right in the middle of the long worktop. It's the first thing you notice when you walk in the door :(

I am just looking for some advice please! The gap is approx 3mm.

These were some of my thoughts. Should i pick out the sealant and try and fill it with Colorfill? I've read a few posts on here that reccomend Colorfill

Should i buy some sort of panel ( ? toughened glass) and fix it to the worktop to cover it and make a worktop protector type of thing?

Or should i just get rid of the worktop and buy a new piece of worktop and get it done again?

The length of the full worktop is 4m but the largest piece they sell in that range is 3.6m so there will a join somewhere... however not right in the middle in front of the window which highlights it!! It would also need to be cut to accomodate the sink and hob. If so, would this be a massive job considering that the kitchen has only just been refurbed?

Sorry for such a long post :( I have attached some photos.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      1.3 MB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      1.5 MB
      Views:
    • 3.jpg
      3.jpg
      File size:
      1.5 MB
      Views:
    • 4.jpg
      4.jpg
      File size:
      1.6 MB
      Views:
  2. Devil's Advocate

Devil's Advocate Well-Known Member

What a shame.

Others will advise on 'colourfill' (which I suspect will be a major improvement) but - once done - you could then fit summat like these over them (tho' try and find longer ones): https://www.screwfix.com/p/unika-self-adhesive-worktop-protector-30cm-6-pack/39766

After all, you do have a hob right there - so you'll find it a genuinely useful thing to have.

If you know the make of worktop, it could also be worth contacting them to see if they have an exact colour match filler for such a job.

3. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Well-Known Member

Assuming budget permits, I'd replace it. You're going to be looking at that for a very long time and light from the window really highlights it. A decent trade should be able to join that kind of worktop so you can hardly see the join, whoever did this was a right bodger. I'd dare to say I could have done a better job given this is a straight join.

Assume the sink is to the left, need to work out where the best place for the join is - really needs to be where it will be supported. Can you post a photo of the whole worktop or at least showing more of it (to the left).

4. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Well-Known Member

Devil's Advocate likes this.
  5. KIAB

KIAB Well-Known Member

Colourfill is available in dozens of colours & shades, can search on their site by retailer,colour or manufacturer.

http://www.colorfill.co.uk/

6. koolpc

koolpc Well-Known Member

Sand down with an orbital sander. Make a nice long trough of the joint. Fill with cement. Sand the cement until smooth. Drill holes along the cement at 2 inch intervals. Place tiny sticks of dynamite in holes. Wire up and set them off.

This will make it look much better than what it does now! :p

7. kitfit1

kitfit1 Active Member

If the fitter was a family friend, it's a good job he wasn't your enemy.
    That is atrocious, looks like it might have been done with a jigsaw with some random filler thrown in. It needs ripping out and redoing with new worktop........................NOT the same fitter though.

8. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Well-Known Member

In the bottom R of pic 4 I think I can see the edge of the sink and that looks rough as well. However, is a fair bit of that sealer actually on the surface of the WT?. Clean it back so it's just the joint (and round the sink) and see if it is better. It looks to me as much clumsy sealant as clumsy jointing. Next to our hob we have a single granite floor tile with 4 little rubber feet on. We use it as a pan stand for stuff coming straight off the hob. It would cover a fair bit of that joint if you had something similar. Another suggestion is to detach the worktop, re machine the joint and rejoin it. By the sound of it if the gap is 3mm, you'll only lose say 5mm in length - your sink would probably shift up that much and the short gap would go to the end of the worktop where a bead of silicon would cover it.

Agree, a well machined joint should be virtually invisible - you need someone with a good router and straightedge/jig!

9. kitfit1

kitfit1 Active Member

That may well be possible. I'm inclined to think though that the sealant in and over the joint is to hide chips on the surface. If that's the case, that 3mm gap could easily become 8mm to 10mm by the time it's routed on both edges. A worktop 10mm short of the end of a run sticks out like a sore thumb.

10. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Well-Known Member

It does when you're a perfectionist as I am and expect you are too :p. I'm only a decent DIYer not trade, but have done several full kitchens over the past few years and you can't see my joints! (unless you look very hard!)

I think you may be right about the chips - looks like the wrong tool has been used!

11. CGN

CGN Well-Known Member

Doesn't seem to have been any effort put into that!

Almost has a similar scenario a few weeks back doing a kitchen fit. I'd seen the plans prior to the fit, longest run was a tad over 3.5m, shortest about 2.5. Presumed I'd get a 3m and 3.6m and when I went to start the job, there were 3x3m lengths. Wasn't going to put a join in, customer wasn't aware and wasn't told there would need to be a join as they only did 3m lengths in that style. Sent them back, and sourced else where.

12. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Take out and renew the worktop that has the hob set in it. Neaten up the sink side and put new hob worktop to fit.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

13. sparkkle

sparkkle New Member

HI
    Thanks for all of your advice. I wasn't happy with the join but thought it was just me being a perfectionist.
    Unfortunately this worktop doesn't come in 4m lengths. The utility room has been fitted with the same worktops so really need to stick that particular design...
    Thanks re the worktop saver, that looks great. However, after reading the comments on here, i think that the best way is to replace the worktop and ensure the join is in a less noticeable place. Can anyone advise if it would be a big job to take out the worktop (and upstands etc) and refit a new worktop? Could it be done in a day?
    Thanks again

14. Tom86

Tom86 New Member

It has nothing to do with perfectionism. That job is disgusting, literally. Theoretically, it might be possible in a day. But it's really hard to say upfront. Your friend is obviously not regular kitchen fitter so I'd expect some surprises there. It shouldn't be necessary to remove upstands, it all depends on how he did that tho'. I'll be more specific... even if it might be done in a day, don't expect that someone gonna do that for a day-rate. I mean some serious trademan.

15. koolpc

koolpc Well-Known Member

Skilled tradesman could easily replace that in a day.

16. sparkkle

sparkkle New Member

Thanks for getting back to me. Sorry, I understand that it's hard to advise on something just from looking at photos. My parents are older and as their whole kitchen was disrupted for a week while it was being refurbed, I was just trying to get an idea of how big a job it would be and how much it would be disrupted again if they were to have that piece of worktop taken out and a new piece fitted. Thanks!!