kitchen worktop repair!! can it be done?

Discussion in 'Kitchen Fitters' Talk' started by gecko, Nov 9, 2004.

  1. gecko

    gecko Member


    I have accidentally damaged the edge of my worktop while fitting it.

    The damage is right on the front edge and has caused a dint about the size of a 50p piece, the laminate has slight cracking.

    I know this is probably impossible, but is there a way to fill the hole and somehow repair it? maybe by removing a piece of laminate of another section?

  2. dewaltdisney

    dewaltdisney New Member

    Hi G,

    You will never be satisfied with the repair and you may as well save time and replace it now.

    From what you have said I think that the substrate has held the dent and the laminate has split as it could not flex to follow the irregular surface. Logically, if you could back fill the dent then the laminate could be brought up flush again closing up the splits. The problem is how do you get it back filled? Peeling back the laminate will result in more splitting but if you can do this then you could fill the dent with Davids Isopan filler and reform the edge. Use Evostick to reafix the laminate when the filler has gone hard.

    I think it will look naff though and you will have to face up to a new worktop as you will always look at the dent first thing as you walk in the room because you know it is there. Grrrrrr

  3. gecko

    gecko Member

    You're right, even if by some miracle I make it half decent I'll always know it's there and I'll always regret botching the job... I've ordered another length!

  4. bonnie the botch

    bonnie the botch New Member

    hi gecko , dont order a new top just for that. get a fridge magnet and super glue it on to the damaged bit . job done and nobody will ever notice.
  5. Small dents and cracks can be repaired with Colorfil, available from hardware shops, Screwfix do an equivalent
  6. carpenter

    carpenter New Member

    if a small dent is the size of a 50 pence bit do thay sell this gear by the gallon and do you get it trade mate
  7. bonnie the botch

    bonnie the botch New Member

    or further to my last post , you could always buy a extra door knob that matches and make a feature out of it, lol
  8. panlid

    panlid New Member

    or hammer along the whole edge and call it hammerite effect
  9. bonnie the botch

    bonnie the botch New Member

    or have you conciderd a nice row of ornate coat hooks.
  10. TAD

    TAD New Member

    Small dents can be repaired using superglue (mitre mate). Fill hole proud, spray activator, then pair off with stanley knife blade
  11. bonnie the botch

    bonnie the botch New Member

    tad that would be fine for a very small dink, but this chaps talking about somthing the size of a man hole cover, i think he just needs to take it on the chin and get another pieceof worktop.

    KITCHEN MAN New Member

    hi geko
    you can get the worktop repaired have you heard of the plastic surgeonthey are a company nation wide i am a fitter have had this problem in the past they come in and repair the damage i don,t know how much they charge but they do a realy good job
  13. Maintenance Man

    Maintenance Man New Member

    I have the details of a company called The House Medic based in Rotherham. I have just used him to repair a bath and he did a cracking job.
    His flier says he repairs just about anything, including worktops.
    Let me know if would like his details.
  14. Andy Millner

    Andy Millner New Member

    I had a north west based company called Laminatesolutions who repaired a hammer dent on the front edge of my beeched block worktop. It was a very profesional job, their website is:
  15. evo nut

    evo nut New Member


    I recon he has had it repaired by now:

    Dec 21, 2004 9:08 PM was the last post!!
  16. chippie244

    chippie244 Well-Known Member

    A post so good spammers revived it twice :):)
    WillyEckerslike likes this.
  17. WillyEckerslike

    WillyEckerslike Well-Known Member

    Allison must be a little clumsy. She had to use the same company to repair her bath a few days ago according to her post on the plumbers' forum.
    DIY womble likes this.
  18. goldenboy

    goldenboy Well-Known Member

    I repair worktops using a mixture of minced pork shoulder, salt, water, potato starch, sugar and sodium nitrate.

    I buy it in cans, open them with the included key and then smear it all over the worktop.

    Does a great job.
    kitfit1 likes this.
  19. kitfit1

    kitfit1 Well-Known Member

    goldenboy likes this.
  20. Dr Bodgit

    Dr Bodgit Well-Known Member

    He's not a worktop repair man, he's a very naughty boy!
    kitfit1 likes this.

Share This Page