Knight in shining armour needed

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Grem, Nov 21, 2021.

1. Grem

Grem Member

We have just had a new oil boiler installed and now we can only have hot radiators upstairs OR downstairs. If I restrict the flow on all the rads upstairs the downstairs ones heat up. If upstairs are open anything more than a couple of turns, the downstairs rads stay cold.
    I have bled all the radiators while hot and cold and now no air comes out. Everything worked before we changed the boiler. Is it coincidence? Or has the heating engineer done something wrong? Could the pump no longer be powerful enough.

2. BiancoTheGiraffe

BiancoTheGiraffe Screwfix Select

You need to rebalance the system mate, presumably the new pump is a different spec (not necessarily wrong)

3. Grem

Grem Member

Same pump, new boiler. how do I rebalance the system please?

4. I-Man

I-Man Screwfix Select

do a youtube search - hundreds of videos which will explain how to do it. Essentially just adjusting the valves on all radiators so you get even heat distribution.

5. Grem

Grem Member

Thank you. I have done that and it worked for a few days. Maybe the engineer changed them when he commissioned the boiler. I’ll do it again.

6. Grem

Grem Member

Discovered the problem - the boiler had lost pressure.
    For some reason I have to re pressure the boiler 2x week. I can’t see any leaks anywhere, but I guess there must be?

7. jonathanc

jonathanc Guest

Yes. Check the PRV outlet for starters