Knocked down wall and blocking in door

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Myles, Dec 5, 2018 at 10:20 AM.

1. Myles

Myles New Member

Hi I have bought my house and I am hoping to do a lot of the work myself. I had a builder put who said that the wall between the bathroom and toilet wasn’t supportive and I could take it out myself.
    Firstly there have been some cracks in the plaster on the supportive wall next to the wall I have taken down I don’t know if that’s ok? I am happy to replaster but want to know it’s safe.

upload_2018-12-5_10-20-45.jpeg

Secondly I am hoping to block up one of the doors but the door is in the supportive wall just want to know is there anything I should do special? I have been told to use the wall ties every two blocks but I know that some people take out the half blocks in te doorway and put a full block in but not sure if I am quite up for drilling out blocks?
    Any help would be great
    It is an ex authority house about 1930’s

2. KIAB

KIAB Well-Known Member

Too heavy handed with demolition.:)

Remove door linning, I use frame ties fix to exsisting blockwork to tie in new block work.

Myles likes this.
  3. Pollowick

Pollowick Well-Known Member

Looking at the picture where the small rectangle of plaster is, you can see teh underlying blockwork and the mortar there arppers to be wither missing or not bonded - whe you strip that plaster off you will get a better view and be able to decide how to out that too,

Myles likes this.
  4. Myles

Myles New Member

Thank you guys I will give it a little less force next time and use the ties I shall try taking off the plaster and see what’s under there just wanted to be sure I was going to have the roof coming down over me as I continue will be more careful next time

5. candoabitofmoststuff

candoabitofmoststuff Active Member

Just to be clear... These cracks appeared during the process of demolition... didn't gradually appear afterwards?

Cando

6. Myles

Myles New Member

Yes it was as I was taking down the wall it started and then as I continued it started cracking more and more

7. Jitender

Jitender Well-Known Member

From what I can see, the bathroom and WC are separate and you want to create one larger bathroom. The blockwork/wall between the doors is the center divide. Will one of the doorways be blocked off?

I think the best thing would be to take down all the cracked blockwork and create a new wall using studwork and plasterboard. As others have said the cracks show the outline of the blocks. Even if you remove the plaster and re plaster there is a good chance that the crack will reaper as the blocks have been disturbed. This could have been avoided by cutting carefully with a saw to minimize any impact. As the centreline is where it is 'teed' in.

8. Myles

Myles New Member

If I do that is there anything I should do to support whilst re doing stud work or would this be something best left to professional?

9. Jitender

Jitender Well-Known Member

The dividing wall is likely not to be load bearing but the wall with the doors on is likely to be supporting some weight as the ceiling rafters will be running perpendicular to this if I have the correct orientation.

Can all be done if you feel competent and using accrows to take any load until you create the stud wall. May be worth venturing into the loft to see the joists. Sometimes they may be two piece overlapping each over, with the wall carrying the ends. as this wall looks like middle of house.

10. Isitreally

Isitreally Well-Known Member

Is that a thermostat on the wall.??
    If so there's likely to be wire running to it.