knotts bleeding through

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by twedd, Jun 29, 2004.

1. twedd

twedd New Member

i have knotty pine 6 panel doors i put knotting on then undercoat finished with satinwood. over the years the knotts still keep appearing even after repainting.ihave painted doors three times. please help.

2. Dewy

Dewy New Member

You were supposed to paint the knots with knotting solution before painting to stop this happening.
    Screwfix knotting fluid

3. dewaltdisney

dewaltdisney New Member

Dewy, he did apply knotting. I can only think that this was not the usual shellac based stuff or you did not cover the knots and they are leaking around the edges.

It is quite amazing how even very old timber is capable of leaking resin.

Not sure from your post if is just a darkness showing through or you are getting bleed. It is worrying that these are showing after three coats of paint perhaps a heavier paint like Dulux Once might help. Have a word with the Dulux helpline, they may be able to help. Link is on their web site.

DWD

4. Dewy

Dewy New Member

Sorry. I must have been tired when I read it. I honestly didn't see the reference to knotting til you pointed it out DWD.
    I could never understand why they made a selling point of calling it 'knotty pine'.
    You pay through the nose for clear pine without knots.