Knotts

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by knotts, Mar 26, 2004.

1. knotts

knotts New Member

Have a problem of knots showing through painted furniture that has been waxed.Any tips of how to get rid of ugly brown rings without having to strip everything back Thanks

2. Dewy

Dewy New Member

All knots should be covered in knotting before any finish is applied to stop the resin seeping out, which it can do for many years.
    I can't understand why you would wax a painted surface.
    Was there any reason for this?

3. Gotcher

Gotcher New Member

Over 20 years ago when I was a wee lad doing my first bit of decorating I was shopping in a B&Q store looking at tins of knotting compound - we had some woodwork which had some dark rings burning thru the paintwork.

Another shopper wandered up and said "don't buy that expensive stuff - use some cold tea instead!".

To this day I don't know whether he was having a laugh at my expense or not, but he did seem very serious about the suggestion.

Perhaps others on these forums can advise whether cold tea is a good knotting compound? Or maybe if that guy is watching.... ;)

Gotcher

4. Nailed

Nailed New Member

Perhaps he thought you were looking at wood stain rather than knotting compund, I was taught to use tea to produce an antique pine look.

5. Dewy

Dewy New Member

Not being a tea drinker I had buy some to try as a wood stain on pine.
    I now use what I learned from my grandfather.
    I use a weak potassium permanganate solution applied with a sponge as the colour can be built up with each application. From a purple liquid it instantly turns brown on contact with the wood. Pot perm has a high oxygen content so care has to be taken with the crystals to not get any flame near them.

6. Nailed

Nailed New Member

Hi Dewy,

I'll have to try some potassium permanganate. When you say a weak solution, how weak is weak?

7. Dewy

Dewy New Member

I only use a few crystals so you can see through the glass. I 1st found it was patchy because the wood had soaked it up in places but not others. Now I dampen the wood with a sponge 1st then apply the pot perm with a sponge. keep it moving or it could look blotchy. A few pence to stain a coffee table & you still throw some away.
    The moisture will raise the grain so be prepared for some light sanding when its dry. I aged some pine cladding in the kitchen & it looks more like old wood than normal stains do. Try it on a piece of scrap 1st so you get an idea of the final finish.

8. Nailed

Nailed New Member

Thanks, I'll give it a try