Laminate Flooring Advice

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by CasualChimp, Nov 17, 2020.

Tags:
  1. CasualChimp

CasualChimp New Member

Hello

No doubt this question has been asked before, but looking for advice on installation of Wickes laminate flooring throughout the ground floor of a house. The laminate itself is the "Madera Light Hickory" (10mm - "1clic2go" system).

I've fit laminate flooring before, but never through doorways into multiple rooms - wondering where I need to start and finish (does it matter) as I don't want to use threshold trims. I am planning on removing / re-installing skirting boards, but not architraves if that matters. Plank direction is horizontal when viewing the floor plan.

Image of the floor plan below, it's not to scale:
    https://imgur.com/uaAgbhz

[​IMG]
    If you have any other tips that might help, please share.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2020
  2. welshblue

welshblue Active Member

I personally always take them off. Then cut off the equivalent mm flooring depth to refit. Much cleaner/ easier job otherwise you'll have unsightly gaps around them after fitting.
    Unless of course you under cut with a saw or multitool for them to slide under, without removing. But then you've got to possibly remove some of the tongue on one plank and glue to secure.

The second option is quickest IMO, I just prefer the 1st way :rolleyes:

Muzungu likes this.
  3. RolandK

RolandK Screwfix Select

Welshblue is right. It's impossible to fit the boards together with the architraves and door stops in place as you can't drop the boards in place to lock them. And would look rubbish anyway! I gave up and settled on threshold strips.

welshblue likes this.
  4. I-Man

I-Man Screwfix Select

It can be done by undercutting the door frames and architraves, but you won't always be able to angle the boards and click them into place. Instead you'll have to resort to removing tongues and gluing as the Welsh said. Its more effort, but the finished look is worth it.

Just finished laying herringbone LVT in my home..multiple rooms and all without thresholds. Took a lot of planning and fitting/removing/cutting/refitting etc.. but overall it's so much more pleasing to the eye!

welshblue and Muzungu like this.
  5. Muzungu

Muzungu Screwfix Select

To get a neat flowing look undercut the architraves with a multitool and then trim the tongues on the appropriate boards, slide the board under the architrave and then pull back and glue in place. It requires careful measurement as you need enough room to slide under the architrave and then pull back without leaving a gap. This is how I did mine from utility room to kitchen and it looks much better than the threshold strips IMHO. plenty of Youtube videos on this.

Edit, repeating what others have already said!

welshblue likes this.
  6. RolandK

RolandK Screwfix Select

I agree with I-man and Muzungu. If you have the time, tools and skills to do it as they suggest it does look ace!

Muzungu likes this.
  7. CasualChimp

CasualChimp New Member

Thanks guys, was planning on just undercutting with a multitool. I didn't want the hassle of potentially damaging the architrave / plaster around it etc. But it sounds like it's the way to go.

Will it matter as to where I start on the floor?

8. welshblue

welshblue Active Member

I really wish I'd taken my own advice in the hallway - so many fiddly bits of skirting etc I used scotia. It looks so naff I'll be lifting it up and relaying after taking all woodwork away.
    Still can't work out how a 2 foot piece of skirting can be 2 inches out of square

As for starting, I always start in a left corner ... but with such a big expanse you may have to experiment with which way you want to lay (lengthways towards a window ?) and work from there to see the least cuts etc to marry up

I don't envy you that diagonal threshold

9. I-Man

I-Man Screwfix Select

Yes.. Don't forget flooring only really gets assembled in 1 direction, so plan accordingly as it's difficult to then work backwards into/around corners etc.
    Also plan the layout before so you don't end up with thin strips on the edges

10. I-Man

I-Man Screwfix Select