Laminate flooring installation cost?

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by sparky neil, Apr 26, 2010.

1. sparky neil

sparky neil New Member

Sorry to barge into the carpenter forum, but i dont think the sparkys could help.

I am looking to have the ground floor of my house completely dun out with laminate flooring. about 80 square meters of it.

Would anybody be able to advise me on what a good price to pay for the installation. per meter if possible as i may not do all of it.

I would supply all materials so labour only, midlands area.

Thanks in advance

Neil the sparky

2. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

sparky neil, if someone came on your forum asking for a price for a rewire but where you were going to supply all the cable,sockets and other materials what would you say

3. wiggy

wiggy Screwfix Select

sparky
    before i get carried away with my drunken * could you please advise me on how much it would cost to fit 8 lights to my house. ta

[Edited by: admin]

4. audi-evo

audi-evo Active Member

Take no notice neil :)
    80m2 should cost £6-£700.
    This should be done to a high standard and would include fitting of beading if you supply but skirting would cost more.
    So around £8m2 is a fair price.
    No it's not like sparking and the like, generally the job does not need to be seen, i price blind all the time.
    If you were up north i'd gladly do it for you for £600 and some jaffa cakes ;)

5. audi-evo

audi-evo Active Member

Oh and it should take 2 days on a nice job, 3 on a tricky one :)

6. wiggy

wiggy Screwfix Select

hey audi, you bud weller fan
    no disrespect, but what if it was up 8 flights of stairs, with 6 doors to undercut, in a city......... and no kettle!

7. audi-evo

audi-evo Active Member

Yeah weller is the man!
    But the guy has said
    "ground floor"
    I would immagine 5-7 doors, not a problem, that's what i would expect.
    I will always give a price on a full ground floor, you know pretty much what your gonna get.
    If it is just a hallway i would go and see it, a kitchen on it's own, yeah again go see it.
    80m2 ground floor.......... yep i'll give a blind price any day of the week ;)
    Done a bedroom this week, 30m2, gave a price and yep............ it was a loft conversion :)
    A canny walk from the van to the top but hey ho, pays the bills :)
    Still did it in 5.5hrs :)

8. EXPERTGASMAN

EXPERTGASMAN New Member

Neil, has no one mentioned that everyone else is ripping it uP! and fitting proper wood or carpets.

9. wiggy

wiggy Screwfix Select

its a numbers game audi.......... fair play, i just add a nought.. when i am busy.

Saw weller on jr the other night, but i am a changing man now.....

10. audi-evo

audi-evo Active Member

Indeed wiggy, swings and roundabouts, these days i'm happy to keep busy, some you win, some you win a bit more :)
    Yeah weller is getting back to his best.
    As far as people ripping up laminate, yeah some are but still selling a bit.
    Hardwood may be more than the guy wants to pay.
    Oh and one more thing, never tell people what they shouldn't be buying.
    If the guy wants laminate, he wants laminate, just price him on what he wants!!!!!
    How many sparkys hate down lighters?
    Plenty on here but they fit millions of them!!!

11. wiggy

wiggy Screwfix Select

some you win, some you win a bit more, i love the attitude.

12. EXPERTGASMAN

EXPERTGASMAN New Member

Fair point EVO, I was being a bit flippant, I suppose!

13. audi-evo

audi-evo Active Member

It's true though, yeah we would all like to be charging more but the way i look at it is would you rather quote £15m2 and sit in the house or £8m2 and keep working?
    I myself can't afford the former.
    Anyway.............i get bored if i'm not working ;)

14. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

I would be wanting more like £1200 labour. I only do supply and fit though, incidentally if you are supplying what brand are you supplying? By the way thats flooring only, skirts would be more labour.

15. audi-evo

audi-evo Active Member

£1200!!! Jeez i don't charge that for hardwood!!!!!!
    You can't get that round here, like i say £8m2 is a good rate for us.

I think it's quite fair, £200 a day.
    £1200 for 2/3 days work imo is just ripping the punter off.

Also the brand is matterless, (i don't fit rubbish) we have to be able to fit all brands.
    These fitters who say "i only fit quick-step because it's the best"
    What rubbish, by best they mean easiest!!!!!

Laminate fitting is at best semi-skilled and i can and have taught fitters in a week to fit to a good standard.

:)

16. where about in the Mids are you. If you need a price for this contact me s.wilkins@blueyonder.co.uk .

17. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

Audi, I always work off full written quotes and stick to them so no ripping off here, nearly all my work is repeat work and I have no shortage of takers at that price, I do floors probably 25% of the time, the rest being bespoke furniture,doors, kitchens etc. I dont feel I need to keep to a market price in the same way that a back street barber charges £5 to cut your hair wheras a poncy salon charges £30. In my mind there are plenty of other factors to take into account rather than just sq metreage, number of doorways, taking off existing skirting if needed, cutting up and disposing of existing carpet if needed, working up to hearths,sills etc, trimming doors for height and all the other nonsense. I must be a lot slower than you aswell as for 80sqm I would set aside 5 days if the existing floorcovering needs taking up and disposing of, I was picking the flooring and underlay up and the skirts needed doing.

PAUL PATTERSON likes this.
  18. audi-evo

audi-evo Active Member

Sorry, i thought you said your £1200 was for fitting the flooring only.
    You said skirts were extra.
    Uplift carpet, hmmm, about ten quid a room for the extra 15mins it takes sounds about fair.
    Door frame cutting, around 2 mins each, cutting "up to hearths" ????????????? I just cut around anything in the room, it's what i call "fitting"
    My price, £8m2 to fit the laminate, if with beading then that's in the price.
    Uplift carpets, no more than £10 per room.
    Cut doors £10 each.
    Disposal, about £30-£40 (just ring the rubbish bloke)
    Five days to fit 80m2 of laminate without skirting?
    So say a 35 hour week = 2.28m2 an hour!!!!!!!!
    Sorry that's slow.
    Are you saying your the poncy salon version of a fitter?
    Say what you like you will never convince me that £15m2 without skirting is a fair price!!!!!!!!!!!!

19. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

Audi, as I said above 5 days covers doing the skirts as well 80sqm is the equivalant of 6 4m x3m rooms so theres a fair bit to do. not really bothered if you think its slow, my customers dont seem to have an issue either with time taken or paying up. And yes £1200 is what i'd want just for the floor. You stick to rushing around for £8 sq/m and I'll stick to taking my time for £15 sq/m. As for the hearth, you just cut round it and I'll do a mitred incizo maybe thats the difference between a £8sq/m job and a £15sq/m job

20. audi-evo

audi-evo Active Member

hahaha, of course i put a trim round the hearth, the laminate however still only needs cutting.
    So how much extra are you charging for your skirts golden?