Laminate flooring packs...???

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by macker15, Oct 12, 2006.

1. innit

innit New Member

Audi, how then do you express an area that is 4m x
    4m.

Is that not 4metres squared ? 4m²

Mr. HandyAndy - not really

How would you express an area that is 3m x 2m then andy?
    I or anyone else would say 6m².
    When you go to pick up materials sold by the m² do you always end up short?

2. audi-evo

audi-evo Active Member

So 2 km² is 2000m up the side x 2000m along the bottom.
    no 2 km2 is 2000m x 1000m

3. audi-evo

audi-evo Active Member

4m x 4m = 16 m2
    3m x 2m = 6 m2
    i do this every day ***!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4. malcolm1417

malcolm1417 New Member

Blimey Andy,your like a dog with a bone.We are talking symbols,not pythagorus's therums.

5. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Yes, but you will always be confused.

As I have been saying, if I ask you for 4m², I expect to get 4m x 4m.

That's because I asked for 4 metres squared.

If I wanted 4 square metres (4x1 or is it 2x2) I would ask for 4 sq.m

4m² = 16sq.m

Mr. HandyAndy - really

6. audi-evo

audi-evo Active Member

if you go to buy any product from any trade counter and write 4m2 they will give you four square metres.
    if you came into my shop and asked for 4m2 i would say f-off your barred you annoying little tawt!
    m2 means square metre in any trade you care to mention.

7. Mr. Handyandy

Well, I think I made my point.

The point being that it should be written as sq.m

and not m².

It is misleading, and whether it is the accepted way or not, there are those that think it means squared, rather than square.

I'm gonna start putting it down as, for example,

4²m² (4 squared square metres) = 16sq.m(or if I must, 16m².

Thankyou for the debate, everyone's right, everyone's wrong, such is life......

Mr. HandyAndy - really

8. macker15

macker15 New Member

Guys,

you have confirmed what I thought. Thanks for the input and I am sorry for causing so much friction...

cheers for now

9. Jonny Round Boy

Jonny Round Boy New Member

HandyAndy, You're SOOOOOO wrong on this one - let it go!!!

10. russ295

russ295 New Member

2m x 2m = 4 m2
    4m x 4m = 16 m2

and so on.......

11. hab

hab New Member

No matter how much anyone argues to the contrary the internationally agreed way of expressing "square metres" is to use the suffix "m2".This denotes an area equivalent to a square with side 1 metre.The problem is with the language - 1m2 should be called "one square metre" and not "one metre square".This doesn't seem to be logical but it is correct!
    An area of 2m2 is twice this area and NOT the area of a square of side 2m.

Hab

12. audi-evo

audi-evo Active Member

bingo! some people in here are mixing up year 5 maths lessons with the accepted abbreviation used by us all.
    Maybe these people on the trade forum have no trade at all ;)

13. Bonzo

Bonzo New Member

4m²?4²m²

14. Bonzo

Bonzo New Member

4m² or 4²m²?

15. hab

hab New Member

It doesn't really matter what,if any, trade we have, m2 (or it's equivalent using a proper superscript suffix!) means "square metres" and NOT "metres squared".You can't actually square a metre in any real sense of the English language but the unit of AREA in the metric system is called the square metre.If you want a square carpet with side 4m you can ask for a 4m square of carpet but it is not called 4m2 - that will give you a piece of a quarter the size you want.In other words there is a crucial difference between the terms " 4m square" and "4 square meters".The expression "4 metres squared" has no meaning at all!

Hab

16. wardoss

wardoss New Member

I know this topic has been going on but I wanted to add this.

Under the Standard Method Of Measurement (SMM7) which is the industry standard for measurement in construction and used on multi million pound contracts square metre is expressed as m2. It is not expressed as sq.m which would be incorrect. i.e. an area measuring 2mx2m would be expressed as 4m2

Andy perhaps you should take your case to the RICS and get them to change the may all contractors, surveyors estimators and architects measure under SMM7. I would be interested in their reply.

PS Audi-Evo love the comment about the annoying little..., made me laugh on a friday afternoon!

17. audi-evo

audi-evo Active Member

"PS Audi-Evo love the comment about the annoying little..., made me laugh on a friday afternoon!"
    Well it's true, everyone except andy agreed.
    I think he got a flashback to a gold star and a lollipop he got when he was 10 in mrs. mulldoons maths class.
    IT'S NOT A MATHS LESSON IT'S A TERM USED TO EXPRESS SQUARE METRES BY EVERYONE!
    Anyway it's friday so i'll have a few cans and forget it (500ml unless anyone knows different)

18. really stupid

really stupid New Member

andy you twonk! the sum of the square on the hypotenuse is equal to the sum of the square of the other two sides.... but only in a right angled triangle

19. Mr. Handyandy

really stupid...fuck off.

A sum is any equation that uses multiplication, subtraction, division or addition etc.

So why is the 'sum' of two numbers, always multiplied.

Go on.

Rest of you, I already conceded. I think it's wrong, and it should be sq.m.

I'm on my own of course.

But anything else is called squared.

4² means 4 squared

8² means 8 squared.

but m² means square metre.

Why doesn't it mean metre squared ?

It's not sensible.

And by the way, it's education that makes me right, and everyone else wrong.

That's not being pompous, but I see things as they are, not what norm says is right.

Mr. HandyAndy - really

20. audi-evo

audi-evo Active Member

"4² means 4 squared"
    yes it does in the maths class, i don't disagree.
    however the abbreviation used to express square metre is m2, prefix this with a number for example 4 means four square metres.
    What about ' for foot or " for inches, just like m2 it they are abbreviations or shorthand ways of writing them.