laminated blodey flooring

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by supersparky, Jan 11, 2004.

1. supersparky

supersparky New Member

right, im lookin at you knowladgeable lot for a good answer, im sure it will be a nice easy question for you:
    how the hell do i get acsess under floor when the floor is covered with laminate?...and then put it down again...
    thing is ive never realy had a problem with it, untill now....major one at that, have a rewire and the floor o HAVE to, no excuses get under is covered in the blodey stuff, and i dont fancy cutting up though the ceiling!
    cheers guys...

SS

2. WOLF

WOLF New Member

ah ha! now then, this is the main problem with that stuff!! sorry S/S, but unless it is the click together type.. you is how they say "STUFFED!!" i'm real sorry, that is why i always state to people that do not put it down in area's that may one day need access to!!!
    the only time i have ever told people to put the stuff down is on a solid floor!!, the glued type, well if it is that then you will never get it up in a condition that can be relayed....
    i'm really sorry SuperSparky........
    matt!!!!!!(i hate the stuff almost as much as VARNISH!!!)

3. supersparky

supersparky New Member

is there an emotion on here for a very sad crying man? :(
    in that case whats best wy to cut accsess in ceiling below in a state that can be rapaird easly simply and fast?
    Cheers
    SS

4. Ben

Ben New Member

SS, I had this problem recently, couldn't get access from above because it was an office and they didn't want to be disturbed. I basically found out what way the ceiling joists ran and then cut some square holes using a pad saw, just enough holes so I could thread the cable through using an old piece of thin trunking. To repair, I simply used plasterboard to fill in the holes and then a combination of hardwall and larfarge fine filler to make good. A bit messy and time consuming, but better than ripping up that evil laminate! Anyway, good luck with it and if you want to start a campaign to ban laminate flooring, then let me know, maybe Wolf will join in too! :) Ben

5. Dewy

Dewy New Member

its a pity we cant post images on this forum SS or I would give you a moving smilie fom another forum I use. It has a very sad face with tears showering out. lol
    :'( This is the closest to a crying one. Its : _ | then take the spaces out

6. kesh

kesh New Member

How many wires do you need to get through? is it possible to remove the expansion gap covering at the edges & replace with something bigger to accomodate cables?
    How about removing skirtings & wiring behind?

Laminate is a pain!

7. ban-all-sheds

ban-all-sheds New Member

Have you priced the job yet?

Plan B might be to rip the stuff up, and charge them for new stuff and the cost of re-laying it.

Or, less confrontationally, show them what the problem is, demonstrate that it is not possible to lift it without wrecking it, point out that the cables are under the floor, and therefore you HAVE to lift it, and therefore it WILL get wrecked. If they were having lightswitches or sockets in new places they'd have to accept a re-dec after the walls had been chased - same story with the floor....

8. supersparky

supersparky New Member

i think we should ben, how far we would get is omething else lol
    shame dewy :'(
    cables?
    How about removing skirtings & wiring behind?
    well.....bout 20...its a large house + the cu is on a wall right under the blodey stuff, i dont think the skirting would go back not proud of the wall, and even if it did im buggered if i nick any one of those with the drill
    Laminate is a pain!
    Yes it Fu*king is!

Have you priced the job yet?
    Nope
    for new stuff and the cost of re-laying it.
    could be, my uncles is a chippie, he could do it, but then id have to pay for it and include it in the price! which means they cant afford and they diy it...i could do with the money after crimbo....if they ever get back to me....

i have had to get acsess from ceiling before, but not on this scale! takes the ****! means their ceiling comming down in the hall.....or atleast a 6inch by 5ft cut out.. :'(...
    life is never simple is it :(

SS

9. ban-all-sheds

ban-all-sheds New Member

its times like this where i love that spikey stuff on ceilings....nothing shows ...

Are you sure you like it when it comes to hacking it around? I've been told that some of the old stuff has asbestos in it...

Might be an old wives tale, but it's not the sort of thing you want to take a chance on...

10. supersparky

supersparky New Member

i thaught taht was in the swirly pattern artex......
    if so, no not reali, i will ahve windows and doors open and im not going to be creating much dust

11. woodsmith

woodsmith New Member

I use a cheap hole saw, with a thin kerf, leaves a v neat hole.
    I cut a piece of plasterboard half the width and 1 1/2 length that I glue in to back the hole with a hot melt glue gun, wait a mo then glue in the piece I originally cut out, again with glue gun. Patch with a little polyfilla ; almost invisible, matches paterns too. Its a bit like working up a car exhaust;) buy very quick.

12. Evs

Evs New Member

You should assume any pre-1970 artex has asbestos in it....but how the hell you tell it's age I don't know

13. supersparky

supersparky New Member

just had a thaught........if i have one of those mad moments where nothing matters.....can i take a chainsaw to the blodey stuff?
    any other suggestios as to how to get acsess? so far, i dont want to be making to much dust, due to it being 1960's house......and cant/dont know of anyway past the laminate.....god damn that stuff
    cheers so fat guys

SS

14. Charlie Far!ey

Charlie Far!ey New Member

Price for new flooring. Rip up the old and relay new.

15. kesh

kesh New Member

You could always put a nice rug over your cuts!
    ;)

16. supersparky

supersparky New Member

....well, i think i would killem with the price if i added taht on :-|

SS

17. Ben

Ben New Member

SS, is this laminate new? If not, tell them that vinyl flooring is all the rage now, add on say £50 for new vinyl, job done! Or unless it would look stupid (if in a lounge) maybe you could persuade them to have an access hatch in the ceiling in case of further wiring, access to pipes etc. Make a decent size hole, put a bit of arcitrave around and an mdf hatch. Just a suggestion that I've used at work before where we needed to keep access available to keep a check on a dodgy lead pipe! Ben

18. Evs

Evs New Member

Have on 2 occasions laid laminate flooring in extensions where there was an internal manhole. I purchased Laminate floor "stopend" from B&Q and made a square frame around the manhole cover to which i finished the floor. I then made another square frame (fractionally smaller)with the stopend turned inward, used gripfill adhesive to stick this to the flooring inside this frame. the one frame then sits inside the other quite neatly allowing access whenever neccessary.
    Maybe something along these lines may be achieved.

But then again if i were in your shoes i would just explain the predicament to your clients if the job HAS to be done this issue has to be addressed at some point.

19. supersparky

supersparky New Member

i dont think acsess hatches would look good lol...amd they would need to run the length of the room, or be one at every joist :-\

SS

20. Ben

Ben New Member

Today at work I was thinking about the message I left about putting an access hatch in and I came to the conclusion it was a stupid idea! I dare not come on here again for a while in case everyone is laughing at me! ;) It's actually a hard thing to find a solution for, I dread that I ever need access to under my bathroom floor since I put a ceramic tiled floor in and just had the ceiling below boarded and skimmed! Anyway, I'm sure someone on here will think of something soon, what about all the experienced sparkies who must have come across this problem before?