Laminated plasterboard walls / no stud

Discussion in 'Other Trades Talk' started by Tahiti25, Jan 22, 2021.

1. Tahiti25

Tahiti25 New Member

Currently renovating our bathroom and found 3 of the walls which are internal are made of 3 boards of plasterboard dot and dabbed together. The outside is onto block.

Round where I stripped the bath out I started to use a jab saw to remove the plasterboard as it is just standard gypsum and quickly realised I wasn't getting to a void in the stud. I used a wood holesaw and could see the first boards paper and beyond was more plaster?

A mate has recommended if space is not an issue to just overboard, fine for longer side of the bath not so good for the end as the room I have to play with is too tight?

Will overboarding support decent sized tiles?

Any help is appreciated.

2. AnotherTopJob

AnotherTopJob Screwfix Select

So are you worried that the existing walls won't be strong enough, or that the plasterboard is not a suitable substrate? You mention laminated plasterboard?

3. Tahiti25

Tahiti25 New Member

Both really, I was looking to replace with moisture resistant board. Some info I have found mentions hardiebacker or abacus boards for waterproof tiling. Was planning on tanking the moisture board.

Laminated plasterboard walls is a term I found while looking up google for the wall I have its nasty.
    There is a 2 x 1 batten at the floor and I assume the top and sides then a sheet of 12mm dot and dabbed to a 20mm sheet then another 12mm sheet?
    From what I found it was a cheap way of building walls avoiding a joiner.

House is circa 2005

4. AnotherTopJob

It seems strange to have 3 layers of board. Sometimes there is a fire rated board behind the regular plasterboard in dividing walls.

You could tank your existing walls. If you add a backer board it doesn't need to be tanked.
    However if you're overboarding it won't add any strength, rather just more weight and yet another layer.

5. Tahiti25

Tahiti25 New Member

Cheers appreciate your time in replying.
    The advice I have had upto now is to use moisture resistant board, backer board is a lot more expensive and I am on a tight budget. To be fair the current plasterboard has held up well in most places. The existing bath had shower over it and the builders only tiled in the corner.

6. AnotherTopJob

If in sound condition, the cheapest way would be probably be to tank and tile your existing walls.
    Moisture board would be cheaper than backer board but if tanking as well (not essential but recommended) then probably no cheaper than waterproof backer board.