Laminated solar glass fitted the wrong way around.

Discussion in 'Other Trades Talk' started by Willx921, Aug 4, 2021.

1. Willx921

Willx921 New Member

We have 2 gable end windows. They are triangular and split down the middle, so 4 panes.

They broke one of the panes when fitting it and replaced it, but the new pane is the other way around. Being loft full height windows, they were specified to be laminated on the inside, they are also Planitherm 4S, so have a solar coating on one pane.

As the glass is triangular with no edges the same length, it can't be flipped and needs to be remade. The window fitters claim it's not just ok in the current orientation, but better as the 4mm toughened glass is harder to break than the 6mm laminated, so it's a better way to fit it. They also say it doesn't matter which pane the solar coating is on doesn't matter.

Either I'm being fed a lie here, or the world has been fitting laminated glass the wrong way around. I suspect the former.

Does anyone have any suggestions, advice or recommended responses?

2. Baxi Boy

Baxi Boy Active Member

They have made the glass unit wrong as you say,it sounds like the installers are trying to get you to accept it,as the company wouldn’t want the cost of another unit.You should be entitled to the specifications you were quoted for,if you haven’t paid,I would say don’t until you are satisfied.

jonathanc likes this.
  3. jonathanc

jonathanc Screwfix Select

As above. Go back to the quote specification you agreed with then abs force them to meet that specification

4. ginger tuffs

ginger tuffs Screwfix Select

Planitherm should go on inside of building

Baxi Boy likes this.
  5. Willx921

Willx921 New Member

Thanks for the feedback. This is the glass spec, so are you saying that you think the solar coating should be on the inside and laminate should be on the outside of the building according to this spec?

upload_2021-8-6_21-4-28.png

6. Willx921

Willx921 New Member

7. ginger tuffs

ginger tuffs Screwfix Select

That must be a up to date but all the units I fit have a sticker stating to internal which is on inner skin is coated side. You will need to asked fitters for their spec on what way to fit