Landing support for a triple winder staircase.

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Carbo99, Dec 13, 2021.

1. Carbo99

Carbo99 New Member

I've recently undertaken a loft conversion and due to space issue have had to go with a slightly odd shaped staircase. The issue is the final return ends over the the first 3 risers and I need a way of creating a landing to bridge this gap.

A couple of things to note:
    The centre newel post of the staircase will be a full length 180mm x 180mm structural oak post.
    The hatched area is roughly 800mm x 700mm.

I was thinking of making a frame from 100mm x 100mm and coach bolting it to the floor on either side and to the oak newel post.

Does anyone have any better suggestions?

Hatched Area.png Hatched Area 2.png

2. stevie22

stevie22 Screwfix Select

Sounds fine: are you going to have your 2m headroom?

Worth running by BC.

Carbo99 likes this.
  3. Carbo99

Carbo99 New Member

Thanks for the reply Steve, with it being for a loft conversion I think the minimum headroom is 1.9m providing it's a single room and bathroom if I remember rightly which using 100mm x 100mm timber I'll have.

Failing that I'll have to fit an alternating staircase to comply with the regs. It's a bit of a bugbear really given they're by no means safe in comparison and the staircase in the house currently only has 1.8m headroom but it's acceptable because it's original.

4. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

You could use 3x2 for the landing if every inch matters for space. Notch it into the newel rather than bolt it and it'll never move.

Carbo99 likes this.
  5. Carbo99

Carbo99 New Member

A friend of mine suggested using a steel frame and plate welded together so I'm thinking that's probably the best option. It will be the strongest whilst also giving me the maximum head room.

Thanks for the suggestion :)