LAP LED Floodlights Water Ingress

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Daibando, Jun 14, 2019.

1. Daibando

Daibando New Member

Hi, nearly every LAP LED floodlight I have installed over the last few years has failed within a year due to water ingress. Screwfix issued a leaflet suggesting they are failing due to twin and earth cable being used. Mine have been installed with round 1mm 3 core flex in accordance with the installation instructions.
    Screwfix have refunded or replaced the lights but it has left me massively out of pocket due to having to travel to the properties to uninstall the light then return with a replacement and refit. This isnt just LAP LED floodlights, I have also had issues with various other makes including red arrow, knightsbridge, luceco, ansell, to name a few.
    Is anyone else experiencing this problem?

2. Sparkielev

Sparkielev Screwfix Select

Not had many issues with the Ansell but if you are buying LAP then what do you expect they are a budget range of fitting,

3. Daibando

Daibando New Member

They should still be fit for purpose. An outside light that lets in water?

4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Got Luceco & another brand here, both I added some sealant around the cable gland just to be on the safe side, to prevent water ingress.

5. robertpstubbs

robertpstubbs Screwfix Select

How are they failing? Are they filling up with water which shorts them? Or are integral LED units just failing anyway?

Personally I avoid lights with integral LEDs and use lights where there is a replaceable LED lamp.

6. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

That's not really an option with LED floodlights, Robert. They have tended to be supplied with a pre-attached flex and a sealed plate containing the LEDs. If they are letting in water there must be a manufacturing quality issue.

7. peter palmer

peter palmer Screwfix Select

LAP = something beginning with C.

I remember a few years ago I went up a ladder to investigate a faulty 400W metal halide, I undid the screw on the glass frame and got absolutely drench in freezing cold water, the light was that full you couldn't tell it had any water inside it.

8. W. Axl Rose

W. Axl Rose Member

LAP is complete rubbish.

Póg mo thóin likes this.
  9. Daibando

Daibando New Member

I only started using Lap as screwfix is on my doorstep so easier to replace. I was using other makes which were all failing and meant a 20 min drive each way to my wholesaler. The LED units are filling with water and stop working. I have also had the pir's fill with water.

10. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Strange that so many of these LED lights you're fitting are failing due to water ingress ? And various makes as well

As led lighting is becoming the norm, millions of these units must be sold annually ..... I wonder what the failure rate, due to water ingress is

Can you not form a drip loop in the cable close to entry point

I’ve got three old style halogens at home, really cheapies, £10 jobs from
    Wickes. Changed lamps over the years but no other issues with them, probably over 15 years old

Will eventually change to LED :eek:

11. robertpstubbs

robertpstubbs Screwfix Select

If it is just a case of water getting in and staying in, then I suppose you could just drill holes in the bottom of the lights. In theory this would lower the IP rating, but it doesn’t seem like there is good IP to begin with.

For comparison, MK Masterseal boxes have points where the instructions tell you to drill drainage holes if they are at the bottom of an installation.

12. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

I use Luceco and no issues what so ever. A little more expensive than **ap but superior in many many ways.

13. W. Axl Rose

W. Axl Rose Member

KRAP accessories should be made illegal.

Póg mo thóin likes this.
  14. Comlec

Comlec Screwfix Select

It is already a requirement that all goods sold conform to relevant standards. One of which is to supply instructions for the correct installation and use.
    Maybe there should be a legal requirement to read them.

unphased likes this.
  15. Bando

Bando Member

Are you suggesting that I installed them incorrectly? Some of these floodlights are pre wired.

16. David Maddock

David Maddock New Member

I installed 6 Lap lights at home, all seemed OK so I put 4 onto a job last year to support the cctv. 10 lamps and all except one have failed. It is not related to water either as they are mounted under large projecting eaves on my house and in any event round cable in glands, pre wired, drip loops.
    Firstly the light stops shining and just has a dim glow and then nothing.
    Are screwfix interested... No.
    Still selling these lamps which have a latent defect.

17. Yes, I am having the same problems as you. I am a retired Qualified Electrician.
    I installed the LAP PIR 50W flood light on my own house gable. It only lasted 1 month. When I took it down it had ingress of rain water in the main light area where the led lamp is.
    When I removed the 3 core flex at that poorly designed circular connector on the flood light I spotted wet in there. So must have leaked through the plastic gland fitted to the flood light.
    When Installing it I ensured the 3 core flex was tightly secured at the gland entering the flood light fitting. I also Install a water tight JB adjacent to convert the in coming twin and earth cable to the 3 core 1mm sq. flexible cable.
    I phoned Screwfix and got a replacement fitting like for like no problem. I am installing it now and have ensured the gland is tight and added Black pvc tape around the top of the gland for additional seal.
    This fitting is supposed to be IP44 rated. I will see how long this one lasts!!!!. Hopefully more than 1 month.
    If I have any more problems with the replacement one I will be very unhappy. Will go back to the old fashioned tungsten one for £11 and give up on the Led type.

18. David Maddock

David Maddock New Member

Yes. Rubbish and it is not just water. I fitted one inside a garage as a security light, lasted less than a year. I fitted 5 outside at home all with round cable and drip loops, all dead within 2 years.
    Fitted 2 last year on a job under large projecting eaves, one failed in a few months.
    Dont touch.

19. jay123

jay123 Member

Yeah them lap are a poor design! The bottom of the gland actually faces upwards when the light is in position. Just asking for water ingress

20. Teki

Teki Screwfix Select