Lap vents or tile vents?

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by SrD123, Jan 19, 2020.

1. SrD123

SrD123 Member

Hi,

I'm looking for a bit of advice.

We have moved into this house a couple of years now and we are having a lot of problems with the heating. Changed to gas after the first year and fixed some of the plumbing issues but we are getting a lot of condensation, mould on some of the ceilings in the corners and the house doesn't really retain any heat.

I just bought a load of 200mm insulation to top up the loft to see if that would help with the problem. I cleared everything out yesterday and when I went to start rolling it out today I have noticed that the roof is covered in beads of condensation and some of the wood is damp. I'm assuming from the sub zero temperatures last night as there wasnt any rain.

I'm thinking I need to sort this out before I make the attic even colder with the extra insulation. Would felt lap vents like these:

10 x Felt Lap Vents Prevents Loft roof Condensation. Attic Space Ventilation https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00M97O5YY/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_rkhjEbENFC27N

Do what I need or would I be better getting someone to put in proper roof vents?

I've also noticed in some places the existing insulation is quite flat, though I haven't noticed any really damp. Would it still be ok to top this up or would it need replaced?

I have found quite a few spots where there isn't any insulation at all so I've already gone through 2 rolls of the 100m base layer just getting it ready for today.

Some pictures:
    https://imgur.com/a/wAjlVM0

Thanks

2. Abrickie

Abrickie Screwfix Select

Lap vents, easy and cheap to fit. If the existing isn’t wet go over it :)

3. Chriz1

Chriz1 Member

These lapvents whats the difference between these and stucking some polystyrene between the felt / membrane does same job all your doing is opening the gap

4. SrD123

SrD123 Member

That's what I don't know. Is this going to be enough air or am I going to end up needing tile events eventually.

I haven't got a price yet but I'm guessing tile vents are a lot more expensive.

5. Abrickie

Abrickie Screwfix Select

Have a look a the manufacturers website, it looks like an excellent product from a trusted manufacturer ( not on commission lol)