Large hole repair with water pipe

Discussion in 'Other Trades Talk' started by Losecontrol, Feb 25, 2023.

1. Losecontrol

Losecontrol New Member

Help, complete novice here in wall repair (and most DIY)….how is best to repair this quite large hole, with water pipe running through (the pipe is the cause of the hole…drilled into the pipe and flooded the place!!). I can see the external brick. The shape of the hole is all quite irregular as can be seen in the pics.

Should I fill with mortar, leave to set, then plaster over?!

Do I need to ‘protect’ the pipe at all or just mortar all around it?

thank you in advance

Attached Files:

2. FlyByNight

FlyByNight Screwfix Select

I would leave it open for a few days - just to make sure the joints do not leak although they should be fine. Did you use inserts in the plastic pipe? You would be surprised how often they are forgotten.

3. arrow

arrow Screwfix Select

I would be looking at getting to the source of the pipe and rerouteing it. Would not be happy with it there in the wall with all the joints.

4. Losecontrol

Losecontrol New Member

Not sure I’m afraid, had an emergency plumber come and do it. I know he used this:
    Hep2O Smartsleeve Pipe Support 15mm https://www.toolstation.com/hep2o-s...VsmDmCh0nvA4MEAQYASABEgLp5PD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

5. Losecontrol

Losecontrol New Member

Thank you, what would you do after being left open? It’s been open for over a month now.

6. Losecontrol

Losecontrol New Member

Thank you but that’s not viable due to various factors, not least all the redecorating that would be needed.

7. Ay Bee Cee

Ay Bee Cee Active Member

Reckon you could get away with a 6mm length of ply over the full length of the architrave.
    This will give you permanent access, but look neat.
    As for fixing, not mechanical unless you are of a careful disposition.
    it won't need much especially if it is a tight fit
    A line of decorators filler top & bottom would suffice.
    Emulsion, first coat wood primer.
    Job done

Last edited: Feb 25, 2023
  8. FlyByNight

9. Alan22

Alan22 Screwfix Select

I'd fill any gaps up inside there that go into other cavities with expanding foam, so the 'hole' is not leaving a cold spot, then clean and square up the edge of the plasterboard, then just pop a bit of plaster board over, a good bead of gripfill where you can't get a screw hold, doesn't look like much to get a catch on there.

10. Truckcab79

Truckcab79 Screwfix Select

Hep20 are the best. They’ll be fine. Spray foam built up in layers. When set cut / push it back to give you 10mm to fill or plaster. Not going to go anywhere. Only thing that might be an issue is that one of those couplers looks like it might sit forward of flush with the wall if it does you’ll struggle to conceal it without boarding over and if you have to do that then you’re potentially also building the architrave etc up to match. Might just be the angle the photos at.

11. FlyByNight

I was wondering that too. There does appear to be a piece of timer at the back, so a couple of Ty-wraps around teh pipe and eased back and the ends pinned to the timber - if there

12. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Will 127mm cove hide it?
    This will have a drop of circa 85mm.

Need a photo further back of the whole area.

Truckcab79 likes this.
  13. Truckcab79

Truckcab79 Screwfix Select

Might be lucky but I think the pipe set into concrete immediately to the right is going to limit the flex you’d need.