Large puddles on a brand new driveway

Discussion in 'Landscaping and Outdoors' started by Moditsy, Oct 26, 2021.

1. Moditsy

Moditsy New Member

Hello
    I have recently had a block paved driveway installed by a local tradesman less than a 3 weeks ago in front of my property.

After just one night of heavy rain, I was disappointed to see many large puddles of water across a many sections of the driveway. I raised this with the contractor who advised that he will remove the paving bricks where the puddles are evident, and re-screed the sand to level it out again. No soakaway or drainage was installed during its construction as I was advised this was not required and that the driveway would be pourous enough to drain the water into the ground. No membrane was installed either. Again, advised that it was not needed.
    I'm really concerned about the longetivy of its construction as i'm not 100% convinced with the remediation being advised here. Any advice, guidance and suggestions would be very much appreciated.

Happy to supply pictures if required. Many thanks, Marco

2. stevie22

stevie22 Screwfix Select

Highly likely the subbase wasn't properly compacted.

I would always use a membrane.

Normal block paving is NOT considered porous so water has to go somewhere. Run off to garden would do but it has to be thought about.

I fear you employed a chancer.

3. Moditsy

Moditsy New Member

Thank you Stevie22 for your reply. Much appreciated. I just want to arm myself with information as I suspect he will no doubt defend the work and try and blindside me with 'tradesman' jargon i have no knowledge of.

4. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

5. The Happy Builder

The Happy Builder Screwfix Select

As @Wayners has pointed out, you should have SUDS a Sustainable Urban Drainage System, there may be puddles for a short time during and after heavy rain, but they should drain away through the blocks or to your own soak away.

It sounds like you think you have SUDS, which blocks are they and what are the joints like?

Has the base been compacted preventing water from soaking away?

6. Moditsy

Moditsy New Member

dw2.png dw3.png There is no SUDS as far as i'm aware, the rain water was running off towards the pavement and not towards the edge of my front garden where the bushes were retained. Anyway, I have attached some pictures for reference.

7. stevie22

stevie22 Screwfix Select

Blocks for porous paving have bigger spacing nibs than normal and are joint filled with fine grit.

They have a no fines crushed rock subbase rather than type 1.