large sliding door

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Humour Me2, Aug 3, 2007.

1. Humour Me2

Humour Me2 New Member

Have a large opening from livingroom through to double garage which is in the process of being converted into a kitchen diner. The plans have this open plan, the opening is 1.75m wide and open to full ceiling height. Have decided i like the look of the open plan but want the option to close off so planning on having a door sliding in behind a false wall. Any ideas for the door itself, have thought about building a frame around a couple of 27"x78" doors so that it matches the other two pairs of french doors which lead off the lounge.... any tips ideas or alternative suggestions please

2. Humour Me2

Humour Me2 New Member

did i offend someone in a previous life! i didnt put this on the sparks forum by accident did I ?

3. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Hendersons do lots of sliding door gear.

4. jasonb

jasonb New Member

5. jasonb

jasonb New Member

Just seen they do non standard heights so you should be OK

Jason

6. Humour Me2

Humour Me2 New Member

Cheers guys.
    Jason i did look at pocket doors but unless im missing a trick to get the width i need they are opposed doors. I need one large door. Im happy enough with building the false wall for it to run in behind and ive found suitable door gear at http://www.sdslondon.co.uk/products.php?parentid=283

Its the door itself im struggling with, is it feasable to join two doors and then frame them to get the finished width and height... and if so whats the best method

7. Hey! Since you're digging the open plan but still want to occasionally shut it off, I think a sliding door behind a faux wall is a brilliant idea. To match your existing French doors, why not frame a couple of 27"x78" doors? It'll flow seamlessly with your existing style! But hey, if you're feeling bold, a single large sliding door would be super modern and sleek, too. Or, if you want the option to completely open up the space, consider a double sliding door with a fixed panel. If you crave a touch of rustic charm, a barn door would be amazing. And if space is tight, a pocket door that disappears into the wall is a lifesaver! No matter what you choose, don't forget frosted glass if you want light and privacy, some track lighting to illuminate the doorway, and a soft-close mechanism for gentle quietness. Good luck!

https://www.hendersonglasswarehouse.com/glass-partitions/

James