laser level / tilt on horizontal

Discussion in 'Tool Talk' started by soabar, Nov 13, 2017.

1. soabar

soabar Member

Are laser levels that can tilt a self levelling horizontal beam without a lock a thing?

I was looking at a Stanley Cubix or at a push a Dewalt DW088K, but as far as I understand it the Cubix will only do this with lock & the Dewalt would need to be positioned at the same height as the line with a bracket / magnet. I may well be wrong, but beam lock seems to defeat the purpose as I'm going to have to check with a string or level if the beam is level & this is what I'm trying to avoid.

I've got a supporting frame of Unistrut to put up, about 3M above floor level that needs to be level, access for ladders is problematic so lines/bubbles wouldn't be ideal & there isn't really anything suitable for easily mounting the laser at the correct height.

Any suggestions appreciated.

2. CGN

CGN Well-Known Member

I've got the dewalt. It comes with a separate bracket/gizmo with a metal plate on....just pop a screw in and you can fix the laser to it. You can slide the level to adjust your line, but you need to get it set reasonably close at the outset. Alternatively just fix a strip of metal to to the wall.

3. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Active Member

Have I understood you correctly in thinking that you want to tilt the level backwards to move a horizontal line upwards? I've not come across anything which does what you need but there are some options open to you in addition to CGN's suggestion.

1. Clamp either of the Cubix or the DeWalt at the required height on to a plasterboard prop which is fixed between floor and ceiling.
    2. Set the level at a decent working height and use a batten with a pencil fixed to it at the correct distance to mark the wall at the required height above the laser line. I have done this on more than one occasion with accurate results. It's surprisingly easy.
    3. Fix some level reference points at the base of the wall (plastic packers or similar) and then use a batten of the correct length to determine the position of the Unistrut.
    4. I had a cheap laser level that you could hang from the ceiling which might suit your purpose. Not sure where it is (or why I stopped using it actually as it was really useful) so I can't tell you the make I'm afraid. Screwfix did a similar model a year or two ago in their Forge Steel range. Might be worth looking for something like that.

Good luck with it. I'm off to see if I can find that level....

CGN likes this.
  4. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Active Member

See above. It was similar to this. Would that suit your needs?

5. soabar

soabar Member

CGN - can the Dewalt draw / lase a horizontal line along the wall that it's mounted to (I thought probably wrongly that it could only do a horizontal line from a stand or the opposite wall / structure)?

W.E. - Spot on with your interpretation. Your mention of the prop got me thinking - I'll have a load of 3m Unistrut to slice / dice so if required & can easily throw together a 3M vertical pole of sorts.

Thanks both.