Laser levels (cross line, rotating etc) GREEN, help me chose one

Discussion in 'Tool Talk' started by AlvyChippy, Oct 27, 2018.

1. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

They are handy for loft conversions, setting shelving height in alcoves, and kitchen unit datums, but it's nothing that can't be done with a string/chalk line, level, tape measure and good eyesight.

2. gpierce

gpierce Active Member

True, but that logic applies to most tools people use. My tracksaw doesn’t let me do anything I couldn’t do before with my circular saw. It just makes getting an accurate clean cut much faster.

3. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Agreed to a point, otherwise I wouldn't debate with Kevin Nairn on another similar post. I'm all for adapting, speeding up, improvising, and learning new ways alongside old, my point is people today rely far too much on technology rather than use their own eyes, instincts or brain.

4. Job and Knock

Job and Knock Member

Don't go on a shop/bar-fit, then! Lasers, especially 3-axis ones, have speeded-up the installation of dry lining, panelling, counters and bars, wall units, and pretty much everything else we do where it is often necessary to read a datum line across a room, etc. I would be without one these days. I can do all this stuff with a string line, chalk line and level (all of which I still use), but for many tasks lasers are just quicker

I've used the red Bosch GLL3-80P for 7 or 8 years now, but I could do with a green line laser to replace/accompany it simply because green lines are far, far easier to read in near daylight conditions. I've seen quite a few of the drylining subbies using DW 3-line green lasers mainly because they read well in daylight, but I wouldn't buy any laser which doesn't have a pendulum lock (as a lot of the earlier ones didn't, don't know about the current generation) because they are far more prone to being damaged in transit (wrote off two DWs that way before moving to Leica then Bosch - the Leicas have a finer line than DW or Bosch, I find)

AlvyChippy likes this.
  5. AlvyChippy

AlvyChippy Active Member

if not the battery/charge issue, I would 100% recommend TackLife green, I got for £56
    also, to the point of brackets, I broke mine and got Huepar one ( https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B075XC9JHY/ )for a grand total of £13- simply awesome quality and... as per one of the posters earlier tip- got 200mm metal ruler- setting up and etc ("other way" round) is a breeze and.... "laser kit" is in my hand tool box, as it is more convenient, than carrying 4ft level.

6. AlvyChippy

AlvyChippy Active Member

Sorry missed the post, forgotten to reply
    Those old Ni-Cad batt cells, where truly dead, I did bit of overcharging etc, measured some charge hold, once taken apart- couldn't find same cells to replace with... it was dead end ;)

7. BikerChris

BikerChris Active Member

I bought a Dewalt jobbie last year (DW088K) ...before the Green option was around :-/ It's well handy though, easily lasts a day on 3 AA's.

Lately I thought it was a bit off, but that could have been me.