Latex Paint. What is it?

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by upnorth, Sep 30, 2007.

  1. upnorth

    upnorth New Member

    Hi all
    Hope youre enjoying your weekends if you're not working.

    Quick question - I'm in the states and have to do some painting for my sister today. Problem is they don't seem to have emulsion, only something called 'latex paint'

    Q: Is that exactly the same thing? Latex paint=emulsion paint and has the same properties?

    Just don't want to go mixing my oil based (which they have) and emulsions...

    Thanks in advance
  2. tonynoarm

    tonynoarm New Member

  3. Welsh Decorator 42

    Welsh Decorator 42 New Member

    Latex, is the common word over the pond for Emulsion paints, we also use the term Acrilic as well for certain paints, but they are all water based in the end.
    If in any real doubt have a look here:-
  4. paintycait

    paintycait New Member

    There is a much larger range of types of paints in US and the terminology is very confusing, you can think you are getting the same as at home, but then when you get it home you open it up and it's totally different. The two largest chains that sell trade paint are Sherwin Williams and Benjamin Moore, you would do well to go into one of these and just tell them at the counter what you are painting..they'll keep you right.
    Which state are you in? Some states only sell oil paint by the quart and California doesn't have oil at all now I think...rules change state by state...just like the driving laws and the liquor laws.
    Have fun!
  5. upnorth

    upnorth New Member

    great - thanks all. That's helped to clear up.

    The website mentioned does seem to talk a lot about 'glaze'. It seems as if they mean a topcoat going on over a primer (base coat), but I presume that's only for wood trim. Unless they put a primer on their interior walls too?

    You're right it is a bit confusing...

    Any thought appreciated, but thanks anyway for all the useful help you've already given.

  6. paintycait

    paintycait New Member

    If you are talking about Dean's site he is referring to a decorative glaze...what we would call a scumble glaze in UK. He is a very talented decorative painter and the emphasis on his site is on decorative finishes/polished plasters etc...not really relevant if you are just painting I said ask at a BM or SW store..they'll keep you right.

Share This Page